36: Pressure To Party

Karl Jacobs

--

Henry walks close by me as we enter the party. We both fought again to not go, but the other four somehow won this time. Percy, Lola, Noah and his girlfriend are all walking ahead of us, they're excited for the night while Henry and I are both probably wishing we just stayed home. I had a feeling Henry wanted to come this time though, we heard the stories from the others about how amazing the last party was. To me it all sounded terrible, most of what I heard was from Lola and Percy. Lola just danced and Percy got high, neither of those things interest me. 

I don't even know whose house we're at, it took us an hour to get here. Lola turns to me for a brief moment and gives me a toothy grin, the kind i've seen only in her baby photos. I've noticed that when we're around Percy and Noah she lights up in a way i've never seen before. Not even when she was with Aaron. I want to believe that it's because she thinks of them as real friends. We all know that she never would've been here with them if her and I never became friends.

"Karl" I turn to Henry, "will you stay with me?"

"Of course" I nod. "We'll find a couch, that's kind of my thing at parties now" I chuckle and he just looks around. "Have you ever been to a party before?"

"No, my parents were very strict. I wasn't allowed to go anywhere without them, but I live with my aunty now and she doesn't really care what I do" it's the first time i've heard him talk about his parents. 

"Do you have cousins?" he shakes his head. "So you're on your own there?"

"Yea, I don't even have siblings" he begins to shout as we enter the house and the music becomes louder. "If I didn't meet Percy at the shops I still wouldn't know anyone now".

I place my hand on his shoulder, suddenly feeling very protective of him. Like he's younger than me and needs the protection. But he doesn't, he's my age and i'm sure he'll be fine if I wasn't here with him. He's just scared and I don't know what to do with that. I remember having Sapnap there with me at my first party, it was just a pizza party at some kids house but he never once left my side. I can't imagine how terrifying it would be if a house party was my first party, I don't think Sapnap could comfort me then. 

"Karl" Lola leaps towards me. "Babe".

"Babe" I meant it as a question, but I know it didn't sound that way. "What's up?"

"Aaron is here" she says into my ear as she hugs me. 

"Why?" I frown, my hands resting on her waist as she pulls away from me. 

"Percy said this is Alex's party. Alex is Aarons cousin, so he would obviously be here. Nick will probably be here somewhere too" Lolas arms are linked around my neck as she speaks. Recently she's been more touchy with me, I haven't asked why and I don't plan to. At this point it all just comes naturally, like we really are together.

"Okay, Henry and I will chill somewhere outside. If anything happens please come find us" she nods her head before letting go of me and running away. I turn to check is Henry is still with me. I find him still next to me, his eyes locked on someone on the other side of the room. I follow his eyes to see him staring at Harmony. 

Will there ever be anyone that isn't obsessed with her?

"Come on" I nod my head and he follows me outside. 

Fresh air hits my face and I let out a sigh. Outside isn't as packed like it has been at previous parties, right now it actually looks like what outdoors is meant to be like. People are scattered around in their own groups, chatting amongst themselves. There's even a small fire out the back on the grass, and there luckily is no pool. Henry and I sit down on some lawn chairs close to the fire, we both stare at the very alive party happening inside. Lights flashing, drinks being spilt, people dancing with each other. On the side of the house is a small sunroom that has been turned into a beer pong room, people are shouting and joking around in there. I wonder where Sapnap is. 

"Karl?" I look to Henry. "What happened with you and Nick?"

"You still don't know?" he shakes his head.

"I've asked Lola and Percy, they both said it wasn't their story to tell" he shrugs. "Nick was talking to me the other day and he seems so nice, i'm just confused".

"You and me both" I huff.

I decide on telling Henry the truth. Not the whole truth, he has no idea that i'm in love with Sapnap but he now knows that we were once best friends and now we are just strangers to each other. The thing i've learnt to like about Henry is that he's a good listener, just like I am. He sat there and took in every word I said, never once interrupting me or trying to talk over me. When I finish talking we sit in silence, I allow him to have his time so it can sink all in. There's more shouting coming from the beer pong room and I look over to see Percy standing inside, his arm wrapped around a brunette whose face I can't see.

"I-I just don't get it" Henry finally speaks up. "Harmony has been so nice to me, it all seemed so genuine".

"Yea, I know how you feel" I look at the fire that's crackling nearby. 

"I'm sorry they've done this to you" he means it, I can hear it in his voice. "Would you ever forgive him?"

"Of course" I don't hesitate. "In my mind he's still my best friend and I think he always will be" I shrug. 

"You're strong, I could never forgive someone for that" Henry chuckles as we both stare at the flames. 

A door slams shut and I look over to see Aaron walking out, holding onto his nose with blood pouring out of it. I rise to my feet as I see Lola standing behind him crying, Percy is next to her flicking his hand around, drops of blood flying off his fingers and onto the ground. I begin to walk over, as I get closer Lola sees me and runs up to me as she cries. I look over at Percy waiting to know what's happened but he just walks away. Lola is now in my arms crying, Aaron is shouting drunken nonsense and Sapnap is suddenly standing right next to me. When did he get here?

"What happened?" I ask, my voice raised. Aaron keeps blubbering words I don't understand, Percy is back inside, Lola is still crying and Sapnap doesn't say anything to me. 

"Karl-" I see Henry before I hear him. "Lets just go this way" he speaks with a calm tone but I don't find myself calming down.

My heart races as I try to process what could possibly be happening right now. A million thoughts go through my brain. Did Aaron touch Lola? Did he hurt Percy? Was Percy the one that hit Aaron? 

What happened?" I ask again, but i'm still met with the same response.

"Nick" Lola whimpers. "Tell him, please".

I look at Sapnap and he looks back. For the first time in a long time we make eye contact and I feel like I can read through his brain like it's my favourite book.

"No, don't. Let me" was all I heard from Aaron.

I feel myself go limp before I could even register Aarons fist colliding with my cheek. Sapnap is the last thing I see as my vision goes blurry before I hit the ground. 

--

hey..................

how are we all doing?? do i need to pay for some group therapy ?

i told yall its VERY FUN 

like so so fun 

so much happening

AND ITS ALL ABOUT TO BECOME SOOOO MUCH MORE FUN HEHEHEHE

anyway

i hope you're all having the BEST DAYS/NIGHTS EVER CAUSE YOU ARE ALL BEAUTIFUL AND DESERVE ITTTTTTTTT

ily all <3