(Part 1) Chapter 1: Trouble

Chapter 1

Trouble

"Raja come back."

I pressed my finger to my lip. "Quiet they're going to hear."

"Raja," hissed Sora. "We're supposed to stay in the room."

Reaching the bottom of the stairs, I peeked around the corner. "I have for the last four hours."

"You're going to get the general in trouble."

"He does that all by himself." I gave him a dismissive wave and crept closer to the sources of the noise. 

"Raja." Sora ran into my back.

"Watch it." 

Sora stood close behind me, scanning the area. "We're going to get in so much trouble if we get caught."

"You can go back," I muttered, pressing my ear to the door. It wasn't the right one. 

"Whether I'm with you or not, I'm still going to get into trouble."

I groaned. "It's not like the emperor is actually going to punish you. You're his precious pet," I teased.

He glared at me. "You don't know that."

Laughing, I continued on. "Yes, I do."

"Honestly, Raja," he folded his arms. "There is no point for us to be out here." 

"I see it differently." I leaned against another door. Still nothing. 

"We're pets, Raja," he said firmly. "Our master told us to stay in the room."

I rolled my eyes. "A stupid title that means nothing. We're clearly not common slaves." 

"I'm not a slave," muttered Sora.

Tobias's voice echoed down the corridor. I smiled and jogged toward it. Sora chased after me. I staggered to a halt as a maid left a room. Men wearing the empire's army uniform where on the other side. 

"Raja!" Sora crashed into me, and we toppled into the hall, knocking into the woman.

Her tray spilled onto the ground. Cold coffee spilled onto my head. I heard Sora scream in horror as his hair dripped with the black liquid. His clothes stained as well. The door opened. My eye grew wide, and I forced a smile. 

"Raja," growled Tobias, his red eyes flaring. 

The emperor appeared behind him. "Sora?" 

I sat there with an exaggerated grin while Sora looked distraught. 

"What the hell are you doing?" said the general.

"I... I missed you," I said hopfully. 

His expression didn't changed. He grabbed my arm and marched me through the palace. "When are you going to grow up."

"I was raised a savage," I muttered prying at his hand. "Like everyone points out, so it's normal."

"We both know that's a lie." He yanked me forward. 

"That hurts, Tobias," I hissed.

"Good."

Groaning, I jogged to keep up with his pace. 

"You even dragged Sora into your escapades."

"I told him he didn't have to come," I retorted. "He choose to go."

Tobias swung me around in front of him and leaned down to my level. "You're a rebellious little shit, you'll never change." He kissed me. "Don't blame it on someone like Sora."