Chapter 6: A Scorned Pet

Chapter 6

A Scorned Pet

The pod powered down. Rubbing my eyes, I sat up and watched the door. Nothing happening. Maybe I had been sent to the wrong location. Chewing on my nails, I rose to my feet. The door hissed. I jumped back as it swung up.

"Raja!" Sora leaped forward and hugged me. "You made it."

"Sora," I breathed, startled. "Where is this place?"

Sora shuffled back and tucked his hair behind his ear. "The safe house."

I stepped out of the pod to see the emperor standing by a doorway. Guards were moving about the area. One pushed past us to check out the interior of the pod.

"This way, boys," said Eric.

Sora looped arms with me and followed his master. I was still stunned by everything that was going on. Tobias and Eric had been busy the last couple weeks.

The emperor led us to a nice room with a sitting area attached to a bedroom. We sat down on a couch and a woman placed a tray on the coffee table placed in the center of the seating arrangement.

"Go ahead and eat," said Eric, before stepping into the hall to talk to one of his officials.

I moved to the floor and picked up one of the sandwiches, which had been cut into a triangle. Nibbling on it, I glanced around. There were no windows, but besides that, it looked like one of the guest rooms in the palace.

"You'll be safe here," said Sora with a smile. He grabbed one of the sandwiches from the plate.

"I'm still confused on where this is?" I sighed.

"I don't know for sure. No one is allowed to talk about it," Sora shrugged. "I don't think it matters. We're protected here."

"I thought I was protected back home," I said lowly, setting the remainder of my food to the side. "They attack the mansion. They tried to blow us up."

Sora swallowed hard and sucked in his lips. We sat quietly, listening to the muffled voices coming from outside. The door closed, and we both turned to see Eric standing there.

"Not hungry?"

"Is Tobias okay?" I asked.

"He figured you'd be worried about him. I talked to him personally only a couple hours ago. He's fine, and everyone at the house has been moved." He sat down on the far couch. Resting his elbow on the armrest, the emperor relaxed his head on his palm.

"Someone tried to kill us," I said softly, leaning back against the seat behind me, "again."

"Tobias was the target." He stared across the room at the door.

"The general wasn't even home," I stated. "He has been home for weeks, and when I finally see him, he sends me off with some strange cadet, because he can't even trust his own officers," I exclaimed, "How do you think that makes me feel, after the whole farm was blown to pieces, and enemy planes were crashing into the fields."

Sora rubbed my shoulder.

I sucked in my cheek, trying to not show any emotion. It was hard though. My life had been completely blown apart in the last month. "Can't you make this go away?"

Eric took in a deep breath. "I'm trying to Raja. I really am, but for now, you have to keep believing in Tobias and me to take care of everything." He stood. "Sora, I have a meeting to attend to. You and Raja should get some rest."

"Yes master." He watched the emperor cross the room, digging his nails into the armrest.

Eric stopped at the door and waved the boy over. Sora leaped to his feet. Colliding with the emperor, he hugged him tightly.