Chapter 24: Until You've Killed Someone

~This chapter has an unedited version with a sexually explicit scene, which can be read for free on Radish Fiction, or on Wattpad in The Nitty Gritty which can be found on my profile~

I sat on the balcony, running my hand down a section of my hair. The city was quiet that morning, with just a few hovercrafts flying nearby. My mind was anything but quiet. Why hadn't he done it? Every man before him had never thought twice. I rested my head back against the wall.

The devil was a cunning man.

"Raja?" Nyko stepped outside. "Was it that bad?" He knelt by my side.

"He didn't do anything," I replied, with a shrug. "He just laid there beside me and then left. Nothing else."

He sat cross-legged. "You seem upset about it."

"No." I shook my head. "Confused, maybe." Rubbing my forehead, I stood. "I need some pain killers."

"Do you want to talk about it?" He called after me.

"No, I'm fine." I went back to my room to the bathroom. Taking out a couple pills I had stashed, I downed them with some water.

"Why?" I breathed, pressing my palms to my eyes. Why did he have to come back and treat me this way?

***

My mouth fell open, and I just stared. How could it happen again?

Tobias stood over a thin creature with barbed hooks sticking up liked fur. A spear cut straight through its chest and now was embedded in the wall. Swallowing hard, I looked to the overlord. His expression remained blank. I faced the devil who was bowing to the crowd while waving. Red flowers were being thrown into the arena.

Eadwyn stood and walked to the front of the platform. "Well done," he announced.

The cheering died down.

"Again the devil has prevailed." He forced a smile. "Your reward awaits you." He held out his hand to me.

Hesitantly, I rose to my feet.

The overlord snatched my wrist and dragged me in front of him. "Our Raja is yours for yet another night."

Tobias nodded to me with a cocky smile before leaving the arena to the cheers of the crowd.

I peered by at my lord. "How did he do it again so quickly?"

"He's the devil," Lord Eadwyn replied, fixing his jewelry. "He's harder to kill than the average man, but don't worry Raja," he gave me a smile that made my stomach tighten. "I'll find a beast worthy of the devil." With a swish of his coat, he left the platform.

Nyko stood and flashed me a smile. "He's the kind of warrior you always hoped for, Raja."

I glared at him and turned my head sharply. "You always hoped for one of your own. I'd be happy to let you have him."

He laughed. "I could never handle a man like Tobias. That's why he chose you." Nyko left with the remaining servants.

Closing my eyes, I took in a deep breath. Last time, he didn't even touch me, so tonight shouldn't be any different. Exiting the stage, I headed towards the pets' quarters. Someone snatched my arm and yanked me behind a pillar. His hand covered my mouth before I could scream. Tobias's red eyes flickered in the light as he pressed his finger to his lips. He led me to a more secluded location away from the servants passing by.

"Did I entertain you?"

Folding my arms, I shook my head. "You barely did anything. The pre-show was more entertaining."