Chapter 33: Beloved

I sat on the porch, watching Raja play with the dogs. He had tied his hair up in a bun on top of his head, but it was falling out. Raja tried to fix it, but the dog kept jumping up to lick his face. We really needed to cut it, but I was avoiding having it done.

Andrus stepped out of the back door. Nyko walked by him, trying to hold in a smile. He went straight to Raja.

I glanced up at the newly appointed Lieutenant General. "Things went well, I'm guessing."

He plopped down in the seat beside me and poured himself a drink from the tray that sat between us on a table. "Nyko said yes, so I'd say things went great." Sitting back, he took a sip from the cup and scrunched up his face. "You like it strong."

I didn't respond and just watched the two pets. Raja was just as excited as Nyko about the new arrangement. "I'll send you the paperwork to transfer ownership rights tomorrow. If you brought a collar, we can switch it out today."

"I did." Andrus grinned. "I came prepared."

"Good thing he didn't say no then." I rested my ankle across my knee.

"What's this?" Andrus picked up a letter.

"Oh, the man that helped me in Glek, Marco." I showed him the picture that came with it. "His wife sent me this. A thank you for not having him executed with the others."

Andrus shook his head. "He did help you. You wouldn't have been able to prepare for the fights beforehand, if he hadn't been feeding you information."

"I suppose," I breathed.

"How'd the doctor appointment go?"

I shrugged. "We've done all we can do. The blocks removed, but he said it'll take time for him to regain his memory. He remembers a few little things, but it's not all there."

"He's adjusting well from what I read in the papers."

"What papers?" I snatched my tablet and did a quick search of Raja's name. "Good god," I breathed when I saw the article about Raja and Sora sneaking off to the kitchen during the banquet to celebrate the end of the war. "I told the cooks to bring them something normal, and no one listened. I didn't even care for what they were serving."

Andrus laughed. "They just gorged themselves on dessert instead."

I shook my head. "He acts like a teenager. The boy has been alive for who knows how long, and he still so disobedient."

"This coming from you."

I eyed Andrus. "Doesn't matter how old you are, when people piss you off they deserve to know about it, and my rank lets me do it."

"The cadet don't feel the same way."

I waved him off. "You sound like my father."

"Unlike you, I take that as a compliment. I have high respect for that man."

"Hmmm..." I finished off my glass.

"How's retirement?"

"So, so," I motioned with my hand. "I wish it was true retirement, but if you idiots mess things up, I'll be reinstated. Eric made sure that was very clear."

He chuckled. "I'll do my best not to mess anything up then."

Raja jogged over with Nyko right behind him. "Can you take it off?" He pulled Nyko in front of him.

"Why would I do that?" I poured myself another drink. "I haven't agreed to let him go."

Nyko rubbed his hands together nervously.