(Part 2) Chapter 15: Saving Your Neck

The steady sound of dripping water echoes down the tunnel with our footsteps. We met a junction. I nodded to the right. Three men slipped past me. I nodded to the left and two more disappeared around a bend.

The remaining soldier, and I continued straight. Dust filtered down from above. I gave the signal to halt and listened. Someone moved about us. I flicked my hand, and we slowly proceeded. Fifty yards deeper into the pipeline, we stopped beneath a panel. I took out my scanner.

"This is it?" asked Andrus.

"For the emperor's sake, let's hope," I replied.

A green light emerged from the device, and a number pad appeared.

"Voice confirmation, state name."

"Tobias Franklin Hollins."

"Authorization Confirmed. Please enter access pen." I pressed in the thirteen digit code. "Let's hope it hasn't been changed."

The panel glowed green. "Access granted."

The section pushed up before sliding to the side. A thin, long tunnel appeared.

I stood up inside. "Give me a leg up."

Andrus looped his gun strap over his shoulder and grabbed my foot. I felt around the cool interior.

"What are you looking for?" he groaned.

"Climbing this thing would be easier with a ladder." I pressed my finger into a small divot, and a scanner appeared. I pressed my hand to it.

It shone green after finishing the authorization, and metal steps pushed out of the wall. I climbed onto them. "Let's go. It's on a timer."

"Great," muttered Andrus as he started up behind me.

I laughed softly to myself. "Well, we can't just have anyone climbing up into the emperor's bedroom."

We reached the top. I pressed my hand to the top. "Brace yourself."

"What?"

The scan finished, and a light ran over my face. The moment the top cover slide to the side, the ladder started receded. I quickly lifted myself out and reached down to help Andrus out.

He flopped onto the tile and took a deep breath. "So this is how the emperor lives? Pretty nice."

I swung around my rifle and checked it. "If this works out, you might be able to afford one of your own."

"Let's hope it works out then. I hate the shithole I'm currently living in."

"The bunkers not that bad." I nodded to the door. "Let's go."

He fell in behind me as we entered the bedroom. I pressed my ear to the door of the sitting room. I heard voices. I motioned for Andrus. Grabbed the pistol on my hip, I switched on the silencer.

"Ready," I whispered.

He nodded and grabbed the doorknob.

"One... two..."

I mouthed three, and he threw the door open. All I saw was Taris uniforms on two men near the couch and shot twice, dropping both. I motioned toward the hallway. "Check for more, and lock it down.

Andrus did so as I examined the men. Both were dead. A white-haired man was sobbing, curled up on the floor between them.

"Damn it, Sora." I knelt down and touched his head. "It's me."

"Tobias?" He peeked up at me. "Tobias," he gasped, throwing his arms around my neck. "Master." He shook in my arms. "They're going too, my master."