Chapter 8: Valorous

Chapter 8

Valorous

"You're going to call me as soon as you, right?" I tightened my hold on the general.

"The moment I'm able to." He lifted my chin and kissed me softly. "I'm going to take care of this and then we can go home together."

"You promise?"

He pressed his lips to mine again. "You have my word, Raja."

I smiled at him and gave him another squeeze before letting go. He joined the other officers.

"Bye," I said with a wave.

Tobias saluted and walked with the others into the shuttle.

"He'll be fine, Raja," said the emperor standing with his arms folded. "I nominated him as the general because of the his inability to die." He shook his head. "Growing up, I can't recall all the times I tried to kill him and failed." Grabbing Sora's hand, he left the loading area.

I stood there alone for a moment, watching the doors. A woman tapped my shoulder and motioned in the direction the emperor had gone. With a sigh, I followed after them. Tobias was a man of his word. He'll come back for me, I knew he would.

***

One of the emperor's dog with spines sticking out from his fur running along his spine to his tail, dropped a red ball at my feet. I picked it up and threw it across the lawn. Sora was sitting on a blanket with a pen and paper.

"Raja?"

"Hmmm..."

The dog returned and I scratched his head, taking the ball. I hurled it off through the air toward the pond.

"How do you say this word?"

I wandered over and sat down beside him. "Perseverance."

He sighed and muttered the word over and over as he wrote it.

"What is this?" I looked at the book he was copying things from.

"The emperor is attempting to try and improve my reading and writing," he breathed, wiping his hair out of his eyes. "Every word I don't know I have to write ten times and then later he'll help me with the definition."

I glanced at his list. It was rather long. "Tobias helped me a lot, but I knew how to read fairly well before I came to Helix."

"I didn't." Sora slumped forward. "It's too hard." The boy pressed his palms to his eyes.

The dog returned. I picked up the ball and tossed it again.

"I'm sure Eric will get you a tutor if you really need one."

He sighed. "No, he says it's time I start practicing on my own, and if I have any questions to just ask him."

"I'm sure you'll be fine then." I stood and waited for the dog to return.

It took off toward the house instead, barking and wagging its tail. The emperor turned the corner followed by a couple women holding a basket.

"Oh no," Sora groaned. "I'm not finished yet." His pen hit the paper, and he frantically scribbled down words.

The emperor nodded to me as he passed. "Raja. You boys haven't been getting into trouble, right?"

"Nope."

"Sora?" He eyed his pet.

The white haired boy held his tablet to his chest. "I'm not done yet."