Chapter 30: One Must Die

The sun cut through the darkness followed by a muffled voice becoming clear.

"Release the demon!"

I blocked my eyes as they adjusted to the light and rose to my feet. The doors disappeared into the wall, and I spotted Tobias, standing in the arena. I didn't move. I was the final beast.

A roar came behind me. I jumped forward as the stone doors started to move. A paw swiped through them. I raced out into the arena. The crowd gasped, and Tobias lowered his gun. The gates closed. Wiping my hair out of my face, I scanned the stadium.

"I hope this demon will be to your liking," announced Lord Eadwyn.

The people booed. I stood there shaking. It was a death match. One of us had to die for it to end.

Tobias tucked his gun in his belt. "Raja, come here."

I shook my head, feeling my eyes start to burn. I didn't want to die. I want to go back to Helix and start the life I had imagined in my head. I'd be with only one man. He'd keep me safe, and I'd never have to worry about being treated like a toy again.

"Raja." He held out his hand. "I will not hurt you. You know that."

Nodding, I crept forward. The crowd grew even more restless. Words of hate swirled around the arena. I took Tobias hand and was pulled into his arms.

He squeezed me to him. "It's okay."

"I don't want to die."

"Enough," he said firmly. "Like hell, I'd let that happen."

Wiping my face, I glanced back at Lord Eadwyn. His men stood along the edges of the platform fully armed.

"What's wrong, Tobias?" said the overlord. "Too easy? I should have given Raja a weapon and made it more of a challenged for you."

"You're sick." He pushed me behind him and grabbed his gun. "I have what I want."

Overlord Eadwyn grabbed Nyko and held him in front of him. "Raja tried to steal Nyko away from us," he announced. "I caught him trying to kidnap him, and drag him to hell. Raja's mind has been taken over by the devil. He is a demon."

The people were not falling for his words this time.

"Tell them, Nyko."

My tribesman bit his lip. Eadwyn whispered harshly in the boy's ear, wrenching on Nyko's arm.

"Tell them."

He glanced at me with fear in his eyes.

"Tell them that if Tobias is not killed, then the devil's power will consume Raja. To save him, the devil must die," he said to the people.

Some calmed down, but there was still a tense atmosphere among them.

"But we cannot kill the devil," Eadwyn said sweetly. "For the safety of my people, only he can take his own life, and of course Raja." He motioned to me. "The one who the devil has risen out of hell to obtain."

I clasped Tobias's hand.

"Let them go," yelled an older man.

More agreed and chanted with him to have us released.

"Take them to hell and set them free."

Eadwyn appeared flustered. He was losing the people.

Tobias tightened his hold on me. "You stay right beside me. Do you understand?"

I nodded.

"He has something else planned." Tobias's eyes flicked back and forth.

"You want a fight?" yelled Eadwyn. "Fine then. Let's see how far Tobias's love reaches." He waved his hand, and the gates around the ring started to open. "Let see you turn that gun on yourself and save him."