Chapter 20: Worthy of a Reward

"So how was the reunion?" Eadwyn poured a brown powder into a steaming cup.

I sat down at the table on the far end. "I'm really holding back the urge to strangle you, so watch what you say."

He gave a slight shrug. "Well, good luck winning him back."

I snatched a dinner knife and hurled it at his head. It struck the wall behind him.

Eadwyn sat still, looking a little paler.

Rubbing my face, I sunk down in my seat. "Why does everyone keep destroying my things? My house is half missing, my cars are completely blown up, and now Raja doesn't know who the hell I am." I rested my head on my palm. "Order the brat to go with me, and I'll find someone who can undo the mess you created."

"Do whatever you like." He sipped his drink. "It would make a moving speech if Raja disappeared." He gazed across the room. "Dragged back to the depths of hell by the devil. It would bring Glek close together. A bonding moment for all of us." He scooped some sugar into the cup.

I arched a brow at his bullshit. "Glek? Who was the idiot who came up with that name?"

"That would be Raja's people," he said sharply. "I didn't choose it."

"Why this planet, Eadwyn? Out of all the ones in the galaxy you choose this one."

He tapped his finger on the table. "It's your fault actually. I kept hearing about the great general of Helix and his pet from Sector 31, so I looked into it. Things just fell into place after that."

"Enjoy it why you can. One day I will kill you. Might be in a few hundred years, but one day."

"To that day." He tipped his glass to me.

I stood and turned to leave.

"If kidnapping Raja doesn't work out, you can't stay here. Having the devil in the palace is making everyone uptight. There are some inns nearly by." He waved his hand in the air. "Tell them you're the devil, and I'm sure you won't have a problem getting a room.

"You're enjoying this."

He smiled slightly. "Very much so."

***

I stayed low until nightfall. Only a few guards and servants were wandering around. I started up the stairs and slipped into the pets' sitting room. Hurrying down the hallway to Raja's room, I stood outside the door.

"He's a monster, Nyko."

I jerked back. I knew that name.

"You didn't always think so," said another male voice.

"Why? Why did he have to come here? Everything was fine, until now."

"Raja, we'll figure it out. Just be patient."

"Don't," breathed Raja. "Just go. I want to be alone."

I moved away from the door as a man with long black hair stepped into the hall. He jumped when he saw me. I knew him. This was Raja's friend. The one who caused all the problems last time we were here.

Nyko glanced into the room, before quickly closing the door. He grabbed my hand and led me around the corner. We slipped into another bedroom.

"I'm surprised to hear you defend me." I folded my arms. "Unless Eadwyn has tampered with your mind as well."

"He will if I don't play long." He leaned against the wall and sighed. "Why are you here? You supposed to be dead."

"The devil can't die. It's part of the deal."