Chapter 5: Suspicion

Chapter 5

Suspicion

The room was filled with scared faces. The bombs had stopped falling and some had ventured out. I remained in the corner, just watching with those who were too scared to go back out.

"Raja!" Tobias jogged down the stairs and searched the room.

"Tobias!" I leaped to my feet when I heard his voice. Running to him, I threw my arms around his waist.

He hugged me tightly and rested his chin on top of my head. "What possessed you to take on an enemy soldier? You could have been shot."

"Nina told you," I whispered.

He held me out in front of him. "You tried to take the man's head off with a rack."

"A hoe," I sighed, peering into his eyes. "I was just trying to protect our home.

He put his arms around me and kissed me. "I'll take care of it." Grabbing my hand, he led me out of the bunker.

I covered my eyes as they adjusted to the sunlight. Outside soldiers were patrolling the area. Tanks and large guns were being placed around the mansion. I pressed into the general's side as a squad of men marched past, heavily armed. This was war. Helix was no longer safe.

Nina spotted us and walked over. "We lost four. The wounded have been taken to the city for treatment."

Tobias rubbed his forehead and took off his hat. "Gather the slaves. I'm going to transfer all of them to my father's plantation in the countryside as soon as possible." He tucked it under his arm. "Offer to move all fieldhands and their families as well. Let them decide who wills stay to tend to the fields, but no one is to stay on the property. Even with the house's defense system the risk is too high."

"I'll see to it." She turned to leave.

"Nina."

She stopped and looked back at the general.

"If don't have to go with them. My father has enough staff to oversee the slaves."

"I trained them," she said clearly, "and I take care of them, so I won't be abandoning them." She took in a deep breath. "They're scared Tobias. Something like this effects a slave differently than a citizen." Her eyes landed on me.

Tobias squeezed my hand. "Raja will remain with me. I have other plans for him."

She gave me a sad smile before patting my cheek. "You be careful, alright?"

I nodded.

"I had a feeling Tobias would hide you away somewhere. Mind your manners, and obey whomever is appointed to take care of you."

"'kay."

The general pressed me against his side. "He'll be okay, Nina. I'm seeing to it."

"I know you will." She walked off and disappeared into the bunker.

"Let's go." Tobias marched across the grass, holding tightly to my hand.

"Sir," called a soldier. "The prisoner is waiting for you. He's ready to talk."

"I'll be there in a moment." He didn't slow down and waved the man off. The general went straight to one of the sheds that held the general assortment of vehicles. If anyone came close, he ordered them to out into the fields.

"Cadet." Tobias eyed a black haired boy standing alone.

He quickly straightened up when he saw the general.