Chapter 31: Underground

Fucking hell.

These clawed sharks just kept appearing. One climbed onto the platform. I quickly took aim and fired. The audience was frantically running to the exits as the fighter planes spread out over the city.

"Damn it." I switched my gun to flare.

They weren't going to be much help if I was dead before they found me. Pointing it at a tower, I pulled the trigger. The cartridge exploded on impact. a blossom of smoke rose up into the air. I shot again at the one next to it.

A shark cackling as it crawled toward me. I really hated this species. I placed a bullet in the middle of his forehead and shoved it back with my foot into the feeding frenzy. I checked my gun. I was out of flares and running low on power. They better hurry up, because my one knife was embedded in the wall.

One of the planes broke away from the group. I waved my arm and emptied my gun to keep the sharks occupied for a minute. I moved to the edge to make way for the plane to land. The cockpit opened, and I jumped in. The glass moved back into place right before a shark slammed into it.

"Shit, what the hell is that?"

"Andrus?" I clasped his shoulder.

He gave me a grin as he lifted the aircraft off the ground. "You're going to have to tell me how this one happened."

"I've had a pretty shitty day if that's what you're wondering."

"Looks like it."

A shark flew into the air and clamped down on the landing gear.

"Nasty little things." He swung the craft around and opened fire into the water.

"Knock it off. You're wasting time." I leaned over him and pressed the control panel. "This is General Hollins. On my orders, no aircraft is allowed to leave the surface. Do not attack, but keep all vehicles below flight height."

"Are we smoking this planet?" He continued to shoot holes into a clearly dead shark.

"No, Eadwyn has Raja. He'll try to leave."

Andrus nodded. "I know. The emperor found out about Eadwyn being here and sent us to help. You should have sent word earlier."

I slumped back into my seat. "Thanks, but I was handling it myself."

"Yeah," he scoffed. "A few more minutes of handling it yourself and you would have been fish shit."

I smacked the back of his head. "I just told you my pet is with the enemy. Find a place to land already."

"Yes, sir," he chuckled, pulling up and zipping off toward the palace.

"Tobias?" said Eric through the radio.

Andrus pressed the answer button, and the emperor's face appeared on the screen.

"Thank god," he breathed.

"I thought I had three days, Eric."

He shook his head. "Against a Taris's prince, I think not. You're coming back to Helix now."

"I need to find Raja first."

"Where is he?"

I shrugged. "Eadwyn has him. They're trying to flee the planet. If you want to keep Sora, I'd make sure no one does."

Clenching his jaw, he nodded. "Very well." The screen went blank.

"Where do you want me to land?" asked Andrus.

I tapped on the window. "Here."

He placed the craft down on a landing dock between the arena and the palace. The glass pulled back, and I climbed out.