Chapter 28: Wake-Up Call

I waited in my room for Tobias to arrive. He had been hurt, and it looked worse than a flesh wound. Sucking in my lips, I covered my mouth. He had done something like that in front of the whole city. All the pets were talking about it. From what they said, it was spreading throughout Glek that the devil was winning me over.

I paced around the room, considering it. Had be won me? No. I wouldn't be here right now if he had. My emotions toward him were still mixed. I didn't completely despise him anymore, but I wasn't ready to just leave this world behind and travel to his.

With a sigh, I ended up on the bed. Tobias was such a strange man. He was all about the show. The people liked him for it, though. I fiddled with a diamond strand.

My head snapped up. I was still wearing it. Did I like his gift, yes, but if he arrived right now it would look a little too obsessive. I ran into the bathroom and struggled to get the clasp undone.

The door opened. "Raja?"

"Shit," I hissed. I yanked on it and succeeded to get it stuck in my hair.

"Raja." Tobias arched a brow. "What the hell are you doing?"

The necklace was off, but a glob of my hair was caught in it.

"Just give me a minute." I frantically tried to get it untangled.

Tobias walked over and did it for me. "What a mess." He carefully worked out the strands.

I stood still with my head bowed, hoping he didn't see the redness in my face.

He finished and set the necklace in my cabinet. "You looked really nice today."

"Thank you." I rubbed my arm. "You did well, but..." my eye went to the bandage, "your arm."

"It's fine." He glanced at it. "I put some medicine on it, and I'm good as new."

"I think I should have a look at it." I pushed him out of the bathroom and grabbed my first aid kit. Forcing him to sit down on the bed, I climbed onto it by his side and pulled his shirt over his head.

Tobias looked rather annoyed as I unwrapped it. "I took care of it. I'm a soldier. I know basic first aid."

"I want to check it."

The skin was red, but the cuts had been properly sealed. I took out some cooling cream and gently spread it around the area.

"You scared me a bit today," I laughed nervously.

He shrugged. "Just wanted to put on a bit more of a show. The organizers have been complaining that I kill the beasts too quickly."

I slapped his side, which drew a shocked look from him. "That's not funny."

His lips pulled back to a grin. "Why? Are you worried about me?"

Shaking my head, I rewrapped his arm. "No. I just think you should take life more seriously."

"Stop with all the bullshit." He fell back on the bed.

"It's not bullshit," I exclaimed.

He snatched my cheeks and squeezed. "Ugly words with such a pretty face don't go together."

"Hypocrite. Aw!" I rubbed my thigh where he pinched me.

"I heard the one in the bathroom too. Keep it clean, Raja." He put his arms behind his head.

I scooted against the headboard. "You such an annoying man."

He let out a deep breath, not fazed in the slightest. At least, he didn't deny that he was an asshole.