Chapter 9: Will and Testament

Chapter 9

Will and Testament

Sora sat with me outside the emperor's office, holding my hand. The door was open as men rushed in and out. Eric was caught between giving orders and talking on the phone. I felt numb. I could sense it, in the pit of my stomach, I knew something had happened to the general.

The emperor's eyes grew wide, and he silenced the man talking to him by holding up a hand. The room was still. My heart was pounding as I held my breath.

Eric hung up the phone and ran his hands down his face. Closing his eyes, he fell back in his chair. "Call General Perkins," he looked over to me. "Tell him he's been prompted to general in command of the arm forces, due to the death of General Hollins."

My chest tightened, and the tears came quickly. This is a lie. Tobias was fine, he promised me he'd come back. He gave me his word. This wasn't right, this wasn't how it was supposed to be.

"Get the Hollins family on the phone," he took a deep breath. "I'll tell them the news personally. Franklin Hollins will also be reinstated as a general in the imperial army. Begin preparation."

"Yes your majesty." The soldier began rushing about again.

It was like another death to them. Tobias led them, he inspired them. I covered my mouth to muffle a sob. He left me, he really left me here all alone.

***

My eyes burned, and my head was still pounding even hours after receiving the news. I laid across the couch staring at the fireplace in my room. There was a knock on the door. I didn't move. It was probably just a maid here to pick up my tray. I hadn't even removed the lid. Food was appealing to me at the moment.

"Raja," said Eric softly.

I glanced over at the emperor then back to the flames.

He sat down at the end of the couch. "Tobias was a good man. Best general the empire has ever seen, and the young." Eric wrung his hands together. "He had a natural ability for it, to lead. His father trained him since he was a boy, but there was something so charismatic about him. The man wanted to follow him."

I didn't respond.

"We're losing, Raja," he whispered. "We've been losing for some time, and I feel without him it may be the end of Helix." He quickly wiped his face. "My people are dying. If Tobias and I had been in opposite positions, I've would given up just to preserve my people. Tobias," he smiled to himself, "he'd never give up. He loved his country. You could say he inspired me too."

Slowly sitting up, I pulled my knees to my chest.

"We're going to win, Raja. I rather die defending my empire than let them have it. Not after what they've done. Coward, every last one of them." He nodded, staring at the picture above the fireplace. "It's what Tobias would have wanted."

"What happened?" I asked in a hoarse voice.

"Treason had infiltrated further into the ranks then we expected. One of my colonels had been persuaded by the thought of creating a military state where he could rule under the kingdom of Thayden. We thought we had dealt with them all. Even Tobias." He slipped down in his seat and clutched the armrest. "The general's location was leaked. A bomb strike hit before we could respond. There were no survivors."

"You're going to find them, right?" I clenched my jaw. "The men who caused this, you're going to capture them all."

He nodded. "Any person that had anything to do with Colonel Clark is being investigated."