Chapter 18: The Devil's Return

The pod powered down as I stretched out my arms overhead. It took longer than I remember to get here. I pressed the button to open the hatch and grabbed my bag. After checking my gun, I tucked it in my belt and stepped out into Raja's world.

Nothing had changed.

Pulling out the tablet, I flipped through the pictures. If I hadn't been here before, I would've thought Charles actually sent me to the wrong planet. I opened up the map and started the walk to the surface. I should've programmed the damn thing to land in the forest and not a mile underground. They always choose the most inconvenient place to park these stupid things.

I took the opportunity to run over the information the satellites were able to pick up about the planet. Industrialized, I flipped to the next image but defenses were still lacking. It seemed whoever was leading this was more concerned about filling the planet with unnecessary things rather than how to defend it.

I looked through all the photos again. Not one military base. Unless they had all their resourced buried underground, if anyone wanted to take over the plant, it would be an easy fight to win. I stopped on the picture of what looked to be the main city. I'd take that out first. Destroy the leaders and place the empire in its stead and avoid massive civilian casualties in the process. Whoever was running this place was an idiot.

Putting the tablet away, I fixed the tightened the straps on my pack. The only thing that made this place unappealing with the time shift. Without a good stabilize, anyone sent to this planet would probably die here.

"50 years," I breathed. I'd be lucky if that brat even recognized me. Hell, he probably already found a new man, but I'd take him by force if I had to.

The path led on, and finally, I was able to see a light. I quickened my pace and blocked the sun as I stepped outside the tunnel.

"What the hell?" I glanced around at the pillars with ivy coating the outside. "They turned it into a goddamn shrine. These people and their gods and demon," I muttered. I climbed up the stone steps and cut through the forest to the village.

I remained in the trees, examining from the exterior. It was empty. Most of the huts had caved in and offering covered the streets. This whole place was a god damn shrine. Shaking my head, I exhaled sharply. I was worried about Raja being killed when most likely they caught him coming out of that tunnel and viewed him as a god, or demon. I took in a deep breath. I hoped it was the former.

A scream came from the lake. I guess this place wasn't completely deserted. Taking out my gun, I crept toward the noise. A woman was crying as a man yanked on her arm. Domestic disputes, great. I put my gun away. She better know where the hell Raja was being kept.

"Get up!" He grabbed her hair. "Now, get up!"

I grabbed a branch and walked out onto the sand.

"Move it!"

He went to hit her, and I swung. The branch snapped as it knocked the air out of him. I heard the distinct crack and figured that was enough damage. He fell to his knees, and I shoved his head out of the way. The woman looked petrified.

I gave her the most endearing smile I could muster, but it only caused the color to run out of her face. I knelt down and took out the tablet. Clicking a few buttons, I pulled up an image of Raja.

"I'm looking for him."

Her mouth fell open, and she stared at my face. "You... it's you."

"Yeah, it's me," I said, trying to sound excited, "but I'm looking for him." I tapped on the photo. "His name is Raja. Do you know where he is?"