Chapter 10: Gone

Chapter 10

Gone

The hatch clicked open. Sitting up, I rubbed my eyes and stretched my arms over my head. Gathering the few personal items I was allowed to bring with me, I climbed out of the pod. The door closed, and the lights around it turned green. I backed away as it disappeared and blasted me with a gust of wind. That was it. I'd never see Helix again.

I flattened my hair and dusted the dirt off my clothes. The cave looked the same. I guess my people were still afraid to come down here.

Looping the strap to my bag over my head, I took out a flashlight and started the long walk to the surface. The closer I got to the exit, the more my emotions started to bubble up. I'd have to explain to my father what happened, and I knew I'd just end up crying again. That damn general, I wiped my face. He broke his promise. He ruined everything.

A light appeared from ahead. I put my flashlight away and jogged toward it.

I was home and that was still exciting.

The sun hit my face and I covered my eyes until they adjusted. My foot was touching something solid. Lowering my arms, I saw the stone tiles that had been laid in front of the entrance. Pillars had been placed around the edges. Flowers and ivy were draped over them.

This was different. They'd been busy since I had left.

I walked up the stone steps and found that the path weaved through the trees towards the village. They had been very busy since I left. I wrung my shoulder strap in my hands and continued on. Buildings started to appear through the spaced between the trees.

Smiling, I quickened my pace. "Dad," I called. "Azuka." I stopped and looked around the abandoned streets.

The stone path continued through the main walkway. All along the side where old and new flowers along with small objects. I walked down the center of it. This was weird. New huts had been added, but the old ones still remained.

I spotted my family's home. "Dad."

Parting the blanket covering the doorway, I poked my head inside. It was empty. Only the firepit remained. All of our belongs were missing. I went to my room and found it was also bare. They were gone. Everyone was gone. Clenching my jaw, I hurried outside.

"Hello!" I called. "Hello is anyone still here! I'm back. It's me Raja, I came back!"

Nothing, only the sound of birds chirping in the trees. Where could everyone had gone. I ran down to the lake side. I race along the beach to the rock path that led out onto the water.

The dock was covered with flowers and gifts, excepted for a small walkway down the middle. Our home still sat on the platform in the small cove. A thick walkway had been built around it and was layered with flowers.

"What the hell is going on?" I breathed. I looked around, chewing on my lip. "Azuka! Cavan! Where is everyone?" I pushed my hair away from my face. "Dad!"

Nothing. I really was alone. Fear and sadness were building in my chest. What now? What would I do now? My family, the village, everyone had left. I couldn't even go back to Helix. I had truly alone. Rubbing my arm, I tiptoed through accidently knocking a few into the water.

I carefully opened the door. "Hello?"

No reply.

I slipped inside and closed it. The home was in the same condition as we had left it plus a thick layer of dust. Dropping my bag on the ground, I wandered around, examining all the different things. Some I recognized as gifts when we were finally acknowledged as a couple. I peered around the room. This was supposed to be our home.