20 - No Ascendancy

The walk to a more secluded part of the palace lead to my tranquility. It was silent, but not uncomfortably silent. We made it to an outdoor terrace where lavenders littered the sprinkled grasses and weeds.

There was a brown bench that sat under a flat wooden archway that seemed to have vines growing around it from the bottom-up. I pulled up my dress slightly enough so I can prevent myself from tripping over it.

I then lead the way to the bench as Kurapika followed closely behind. Once we both took a seat, we sat in silence for a few more seconds, before I broke the ice.

"So, you saw her right?"

"Of course I did."

I sighed. "To make a long story short, Marsala apparently faked her death and so did my dad. And this entire time, Marsala knew that I was being tortured under Cane&Co, because she's the one who initiated my capture..."

The last part of my 'story' caused him to jerk his head quickly to face me, almost giving himself whiplash.

"You mean she put you in there?" His face finally showed emotion for once, this one reading me horror and disgust.

"Yup. She told me every dormant truth and lie to convince me to keep close contacts to her, but somethings telling that she didn't do it for the reason she's saying. I just don't know whether to trust my instincts"

"What is it that she told you?"

"She told me she did it because she wanted me to be stronger, but in speculation, thats too unembellished to be verified."

"Do you have a hypothesis?"

"No. Well, not other than the fact that she could be hiding or denying any sort of connection to Howard. But to tell you the truth, I can't make any safe assumptions about this, owing to the sake her equivocation that is."

Kurapika squinted his eyes toward me, but my attention was on the ground. The ground seemed to have some sparkle to it, as it may have drizzled while we were inside the palace.

"Do you really think she has no reason to shuffle the truth, much less lie?... Let all be considered here Y/N. She lied to you about your entire life, as well as her own existence. Consider it what you want because she's your mother, but I, and anyone else would call that duplicity, or much worse than that even."

"You think I'm trying to accept this or justify it because she's my mother? I don't even consider her a relative.. let alone a mother."

"Then don't try and make yourself feel better by convincing yourself that she wouldn't spread false information."

In a way, I wanted to yell at him right then and there due to the feeling of invalidation, but when I introspect his point, it really didn't fall very far from unerring. She lied to me for her own selfish circumstances.

Which means she would lie to me under any circumstances.

"Y/N."

I broke my eye contact with the ground and returned my gaze to his. He seemed to be trying to understand his boundary, which is something that I've never openly set with him. Although he didn't cross anything, he felt that some truth should be held for later, for the right moments rather than pushing the real narrative upon vulnerability.

"We'll talk later." I simply state, as I get up and walk away, needing time for myself. His statement made me feel like my emotions were totally discredited, but I know deeply that he meant it in a tough love kind of way.

"Wait! What about your mother? Do you not fear what she may be capable of?" Kurapika called out.

"Tch. Mother? Refer to her as such when's she compatible enough to be one." I throw my right hand up as I walk away. Kurapika just stared at my figure until I could no longer been seen in the terrace.