The Innocent Mistake - 11

"Who are you?" Sana's question momentarily froze him. He was eating the food he had cooked in her kitchen, and what was more surprising was that it was made with bottle gourd, the vegetable he loathed the most.

"I didn't understand," he looked up at her, perplexed by her question, his eyes meeting her intense gaze.

"You can't be Sidharth. There's no way you could eat bottle gourd curry without making a fuss," she said. Her innocence struck him. Out of all the questions and all the resentment she held for him, she asked him that innocent question.

"Life has taught me valuable lessons," he answered, memories of his harrowing experiences flashing through his mind, from surviving in a cramped, odorous container to eating papers to sustain himself for days.

"For me, you're the teacher. I wouldn't have learned so many lessons if not for you," she replied sarcastically. This time, her voice held maturity. He couldn't blame her; he was the cause of her bitterness, and he deserved every bit of it.

Deciding to accept her accusation humbly, he bowed his head.

"Are you ashamed of yourself?" she asked.

He bit his lower lip and nodded in affirmation, his head still hanging in humiliation. Ashamed was an understatement to describe how he felt about himself. He had lost all love, respect, and pride he once had for himself after discovering she was pregnant.

"Why did you do this to me?" she cried.

Her questions were simple, but he had no answers. Each question made him wish the earth would swallow him whole, erasing every trace of his existence.

Any normal person would simply apologize and seek forgiveness for their mistakes, but he didn't believe he deserved any forgiveness for his grave error. His vision blurred, and a tear of pain escaped his tired eyes, landing on his plate. It didn't go unnoticed by her.

She had shed countless tears over the months, mourning the pain he had inflicted upon her with his wrongdoing. Yet, why did his single tear outweigh all her tears and pierce her so deeply? She had just begun to ask her questions, and many more tormented her from within. What was the point of asking when all she received was his silence and tears, tormenting her further?

Didn't she herself claim to hate him? Then why did his state of despair hurt her? Maybe because he wasn't just a friend to her; he was an integral part of her. They had been inseparable since the moment they entered the world, naked and vulnerable. She knew him better than his own mother, and he knew her better than her own parents.

Yet, it was strange that she couldn't decipher him now. It all began when she started menstruating, and her mother warned her to stay away from boys. She followed that advice for a few months, but she couldn't sustain it. Though it was in the past, it felt like years due to the suffering and pain she endured.

His silence and tears became unbearable, fueling her anger. Until now, she had no outlet for her anger.

"Finish the food and get lost," she shouted at him.

He looked up at her face, which revealed more pain than anger. It pained him to see her in such a state.

"Close the door when you leave," Sana said before disappearing into her room.

"Finish the food and get lost.
Finish the food and get lost.
Finish the food and get lost," her words echoed in her own mind.

She regretted her words and tone, even though she reminded herself of the agony he had caused her. Her mind blamed her for yelling at him. Peeking at him from behind the curtains, she saw that he had resumed his work.