The Innocent Mistake - 20

Check if you've read the previous update.
_____

(Baby crying sound)

Hearing a baby cry, Sidharth peeps out of the shirt with which he had covered his face. He was sleeping on a bench in the park. It had been a week since he had seen his own baby for the first and the last time. Whenever, he saw any babies, he would be reminded of his own little angel.

He sat up reminiscing about his baby. He wondered if he would ever be able to see her again in his lifetime. He wished if he could see and hold her one last time.

The baby in the park stopped crying when her father picked her up and hugged her to his chest. The incident reminded Sidharth of how his angel also stopped crying when he embraced her in the NICU.

"Huh??", Sidharth gasped recalling something.

The nurse had told him that the baby would take some time to recover and go home. What if she is still at the hospital? Perhaps, he could fulfill his wish of seeing her one last time if he goes to the hospital.

He got up to leave. Looking around, he wandered which place he was at present and how long would it take to reach the hospital.

...
...
...

"Priya, are you done with all the packings?", Rajeev asked.

"Hmmm.. almost done.", Priya answered.

"We need to leave early morning tomorrow. Our flight is at 11am.", Rajeev said.

"Hmmm..", Priya hummed.

"How is Sana?", Rajeev asked.

"Hmmm.. she is.. umm.. she will be fine.. I told her about continuing her studies. It will be a good way to divert her mind and return to normal.", Priya said leaning her head on Rajeev's shoulder.

"Hmmm..", he hummed resting his head over hers.

"Rajeev..", Priya spoke softly.

"Hmm..?", Rajeev hummed lost in gis thoughts.

"How did she look?", Priya asked softly.

"Who?", he gulped the painful saliva down his throat. He knew who Priya was referring to and somewhere Priya also knew that.

"Did she look like.. our Sana?", Priya asked.

"Hmmm.. Don't talk about it Priya.. I.. I feel strangulated with the guilt. I can't gather to talk to Sana normally since then. Even though she doesn't know anything about it, I feel her eyes are accusing me and piercing daggers of hatred at me.", he spoke with a tear filled eyes.

"I couldn't sleep either Rajeev. Did we do right?", Priya said in chocking words.

"We are doing it for Sana. We want her to be happy.", Rajeev uttered.

"Hmmm.", Priya hummed and wetted her lips which were dried in emotions.

"Priya..", he called.

"Hmm..", she hummed.

"She.. she is.. getting discharged today." He uttered hesitantly.

"Huh?", Priya lifted her head and moved away to look at him with a shock and a quizzical look.

"We.. we don't have to abandon her at the hospital now..", Rajeev looked down with even more guilt driven.

"What are you planning to do?", Priya asked.

"Umm.. to.. to leave her at some safe place anonymously. Like this the cops won't be able to track us. It's a crime in Australia to abandon a new born. If we were in the US, we could drop her in the drop boxes.", Rajeev said. There was a dead silence between the two for few minutes before they both burst into tears crying for the crime they were going to do.

Wiping down his tears, Rajeev forwarded his hand in front of Priya.

"Priya, promise me.. you won't let Sana know anything about this. Never ever.. even after my death.."

"How can I? I am as guilty as you.", Priya placed her hand over his and they both cried again for few more minutes.

"Can I come with you Rajeev? I.. I want to see her once.", Priya asked.

"No.. you won't be able to cope with this.. it's better you don't see her.. stay with Sana. I will be back soon.", Rajeev denied stictly.

"Hmmm.." Priya hummed and hugged him.

....
....
....

Sidharth sauntered towards the corridor of the neonatal ward. He just wanted to get a glimpse of his daughter without drawing attention from Sana or her family hence he stood near the intercom at the automated locked door thinking how to approach and access inside.

"Hi, you must be here for your baby's discharge.", he heard a voice from behind

"Huh?", Sidharth flinched and turned around to meet the familiar face of a nurse who he met while shifting the baby to this ward on the day of her birth.

"Discharge?", he asked nervous and perplexed.

"Yes, are you excited to take her home?", the nurse smiled warmly.

"Aaaa.. uuummm..", he didn't know what to say.

"Well come on in", she gestured after swiping her access card and opening the door.

"Th.. thanks", he uttered walking inside the ward.

"You're welcome.", the lady smiled walking behind him and closing the door.

Sidharth nervously passed a smile to the nurse.

"Stay with your baby and I will go grab her discharge summary and other documents  quickly. I won't keep you waiting for a long time.", She smiled and left.

Soon after she left, Sidharth walked towards the baby's room thinking that he would see the baby quickly and leave immediately.

His eyes finally caught a glimpse of the tiny little angel sleeping peacefully in the crib. With shivering legs he walked towards her crib and stood infront of her adoring her. It was well over a few minutes that he stood absolutely awestruck by his tiny tot.

A small smile escaped his lips when she moved her lips in her sleep as if she was sucking on milk.

"Beautiful, isn't she?", came voice which brought him out of his trance.

This time it was an unfamiliar face. But this lady was also dressed in hospital uniform.

"Oh!! I am a nurse. I heard she is getting discharged so I came here to give her a bath.", the nurse said.

"Oh.. okay..", Sidharth thought may be this was a hint that he should leave now.

"Have you ever tried giving a bath to baby?", the lady asked.

"N.. no..", Sidharth said

"Come along.. I'll direct you..", the lady said.

"M.. me?", Sidharth was surprised.

"Yes, of course. Why don't you want to try?", the lady asked.

"I.. I am scared. She is so tiny and delicate. How can I?", He asked making the nurse chuckle.

"Don't worry. I will guide you.", the nurse said.

"Um.. hmm..", Sidharth agreed.

He pushed the crib and followed her to the bathing section. He found a few other parents already bathing their babies.

He unwrapped and undressed the baby as per the nurse's instructions and the baby started crying. To console the crying mess, he embraced her. Though she kept quiet after finding his warmth, she ended up wetting him with her warm pee. The nurse and Sidharth laughed along. She then taught him how to bathe the baby step by step. Sidharth found himself fully submerged into this blissful parenting activity that he literally forgot his intention to leave the ward.

_____

To be continued..