The Innocent Mistake - 19

Check if you've read the previous update.

____

Escaping the eyes of the dockyard officials wasn't difficult for Sidharth compared to the guilt which was inescapable. Due to his mistake his friend had to go through such a horrible fate. He didn't even know if Chad was dead or alive. The gunshots, Chad's shriek and the ambulance siren kept ringing in his mind, cursing him and killing him from inside.

His feet were tired due to mental and physical fatigue. He hadn't eaten for hours. By the time he reached the vicinity of the hospital, his feet were wobbly. But he didn't collapse. Not until he got a glimpse of Sana in the parking lot with her parents.

He couldn't hear their conversation but her mother rubbed her forehead because Sana bumped her head against the car. The concern and cry of her mother which he heard over the phone yesterday was enough to assure that she was with her family once again. They sat in the car and left and slowly his vision was blurred with uninvited yet painful tears.

Why was he experiencing such excruciating pain? Is it because she left him? Her parents would give her and the baby a better life. What could he give her if she stayed with him? His fate was no better than his friend Chad. At any moment, he could be caught by the police - dead or alive.

Getting up on his feet, he walked out of the hospital vicinity. Standing in front of the bus stop, he was drowned into the ocean of thoughts. Where would he go from here? He can't go back to his earlier job at the petrol station as it was opposite her house. She would definitely not want to see his face nor would she prefer his shadow to fall over her little angel.

A public bus stopped and it's door opened. He hadn't even looked at the bus number or the destination, but he simply walked in, swiped the Myki card and headed straight towards the last seat and sat at the window. Engrossed in thoughts, his eyes closed due to the extreme fatigue.

"Last stop mate!", the driver shook him out of sleep.

Sidharth opened his eyes and looked around. He didn't know for how long he was travelling but it was already dusky outside. Nodding his head to the driver, he got up from the warm seat and walked out of the bus.

The place was very unfamiliar and had quite a few shopping and dinning outlet. His grumbling stomach reminded him that he hadn't eaten a morsel for more than 18 hours now. His feet dragged him into an eatery.

Looking at the handwritten menu on the blackboard along with prices, made him ponder if he had enough money to eat. When he realised that he had collected some valuables in his bag last night, he wanted to check if it can be used here for food. Hence, he went straight into the men's room even before ordering.

He stood near the basin and unzipped the bag. Scanning into a bag, he found a ladies purse which had a bunch few dollars rolled and secured with a rubber band, gold bangles, pair of earrings and rings. There were few mobile phones and a laptop too.

Sidharth startled and immediately shoved the contents inside the bag when he heard a flushing sound. Finding a glimpse of the person through the mirror, who walked towards him, Sidharth immediately hung the backpack on his back and splashed the water on his face. When he tried reaching for his handkerchief from his pocket, he found money. He wondered where did it come from. After putting a little more stress, he remembered Chad shoving money into his pocket before Sidharth ran back to return the teddy. When he counted it, he found it to be double the amount he had agreed to work. It didn't take him much time to realise that Chad had given him his share of money as well because he was in need of it. Sidharth's eyes welled up

...
...
...

A droplet of tear landed on the carpet. The door flung opened and Sana immediately wiped her tear.

"Sana..", her mother called.

"Hmm..", Sana hummed and her voice cracked.

"Were you crying?", her mother asked.

"N.. no..", Sana lied with a choking voice.

"Let bygones be bygones, Sana. Don't cry. I have a good news for you.", her mom said.

Was it so easy? Sana's whole world had turned upside down within a day. She wasn't ready for motherhood at that tender age but during the last few weeks, she had only found solace talking to that baby in her womb. She didn't even have the pleasure of seeing or holding her baby who she had nurtured in the womb for months.

"Sana? Are you listening?", her mom shook her out of the thoughts.

"Huh?", Sana looked at her mother who was staring at her intently.

"Yes, Maa.", Sana replied.

"We are going back to India next week.", Priya said with a smile.

"India?", Sana questioned.

"Yes!! And do you know what is the first thing we are going to do when we go back?", Priya asked.

Sana nodded her head cluelessly.

"Enroll you for your 10th examination.", Priya said excited.

"Huh?", Sana's eyes widened in shock.

"Yes!! You would have 6 months yo prepare for your exams. We will arrange for a coaching for your help. But..", Priya paused and Sana patiently waited for her mother to continue.

"Sana you know what and all we had to go through in these few months.", Priya's word made Sana to put her head down.

"We literally weren't ourselves as our brains ceased and refused to function after this. All because of that one big accident in your life. I hope you've taken a lesson in life. Hence, I want you to promise me that you would be cautious in your life. You wouldn't allow any male species to lurk close to you.", Priya said.

Sana's thoughts wandered and all she could think was about Sidharth. Wasn't he the only male species she interacted with all her life apart from her father? He was! But she won't meet him again now. Would she? Where was he?

"Sana.. are you listening?", Priya asked.

"Hmm..", Sana nodded.

"Do you agree?", Priya asked.

"Hmm..", Sana nodded yet again.

"Good, take rest now. I will start with packing.", Priya said and left her daughter alone.

_____

To be continued..