The Innocent Mistake - 12

On their way back, Sidharth occupied the seat in the bus just behind Sana. He stared at her intently though her face wasn't visible and soon drifted into his thoughts about the conversation he heard between the doctor and Sana.

"Doctor, my feet is swollen.", Sana complained like a kid which made the doctor chuckle whilst Sidharth looked at her feet. It was indeed distended.

"Hmm.. it is normal during pregnancy. Due to growing pressure of your womb, the blood circulation to your leg gets affected thus the fluids gets accumulate in your legs, ankle and feet. Try increasing potassium rich food in your diet, avoid standing for long hours and drink more water.", The doctor suggests.

"Drink more water? I am already visiting bathroom so frequently.", Sana made a sad pout.

"Awww.. I know! (Tee-heed) Well, feet massage can help as well.", The doctor suggested further.

"Doctor, it hurts here when I sit, sleep or stand.", Sana hesitantly asked pointing at her hip portion.

"I know sweetheart. I am a mother myself. Pregnancy can be very very stressful. Your body is preparing you for the birth. Your bones around the area are loosening up making way for the baby to come out.", The doctor explained with empathy. However, Sidharth could clearly feel the fear written on Sana's face because he felt it too.

"H.. how does the.. baby come.. out?", Sana stammered to put the question forward. All this while, all she thought was about the past and present situation but now when the doctor was speaking about it, it made her curious. Moreover, her earlier visits were all with her mother accompanying her. She was somewhere assured that her mother would be there by her side. Now after she was gone, Sana was all by herself. She ought to know what was going to happen in the future with her.

The doctor stared at her with sympathy and then looked at Sidharth, who felt guilty and put his head down. The doctor went back in her seat and sighed into her palm.

"The same way she went in.", The doctor said.

"Huh?", Sana was puzzled unable to understand what she meant.

"One of our midwives would give you some brochures and reading materials which would prepare you for the birth. She will also demonstrate you some breathing and other excercises which would help you keep calm during labour. Everything will be fine sweetheart. Just hang in there!!", The doctor smiled.

Sana nodded her head before she and Sidharth came out of the clinic and sat in the waiting area.

"Kap-oor.. Kap-oor.. Sana Kap-oor..", A friendly midwife called out her name in Australian accent. However, Sana was still lost in her thought.

"Sana..", Sidharth called her out of the thought.

"Huh?", Sana looked at him and he immediately lowered his head as she had earlier instructed him to not look at her face.

"The midwife is calling you.", He spoke with lowered eyes. Sana looked at the lady and stood up.

"Hi Sana, I am Stella, the midwife. How are we doing today?", Stella introduced in a friendly tone.

"Good, thank you.", Sana replied.

"Lovely!! Well, come in with me.", Stella says pointing her hand at the door.

"Aaa.. Can I call him along?", Sana asked. Even though she was not in good terms with him, she wanted someone to be with her at this moment.

"Sure darlin'. Do you want me to call him for you?", Stella asked.