The Innocent Mistake - 21

Check if you've read the previous update

_______

Back in the ward, Sidharth was again alone with the baby. After a refreshing bath and sumptuous feed, the baby had gone back to sleep cozily wrapped in the swaddle. The nurse, who had gone to get the discharge documents, was still nowhere to be seen. Finding it as an opportunity, with a heavy heart he kissed the baby's forehead and walked out of the ward.

His pace was initially quick due to the fear of being caught which soon started to slow down as he felt his heart and limbs heavier to lift. His head hung low while his vision blurred due to tears that got accumulated in his eyes threatening to fall qt any moment.

"Sidhaaarth.."

His legs froze in it's position and his internals shivered when he heard his name being called out loudly. He stood there like a statue until someone grabbed him by the shoulder. Nervously, he turned around to face Sana.

"Sana.. I.. I.. am.. sorry..", while he apologized for visiting the baby, he received a stinging slap on his face from Sana. Her face was red and sweaty. Her breathing was fast and uneven as she was panting. But more so, she had fear and pain written all over her face.

"You promised.. me that you would.. take the responsibility..", she yelled at him which caused his mouth to open wide in a great shock.

"Why did you leave me?", she asked fuming in anger.

"I.. I didn't..", he spoke gulping his saliva. He was confused because for him it was her decision to leave with her parents.

"Where is my baby? Do you know where she is?", she asked immediately without taking a break to breathe. Her questions were only adding to his confusion.

"N.I.C.U..", he pointed out in that direction still perplexed.

Without uttering a single word, she started running into the direction like a mad cow.

"Sa..na..", he looked at her contemplating whether to follow her or not.

***You promised you that would take the responsibility.. Why did you leave me?***

Her words rewind in his thoughts which led him back towards the ward.

"Excuse me... Where is the NICU ward?", she huffed as she asked a passerby.

"You have to..."

"Sana.. this way..", Sidharth's word interrupted the man's word.

"Thanks..", Sana quickly muttered to the person before running into the direction.

She found the word NICU written on top of the door and tried pushing it. It was locked from inside so she madly started banging the door.

"Open.. please open..", she cried.

"Sana.. wait.. intercom..", Sidharth said and dialled the operator on it.

"Hi, how can I help you?", the lady answered.

"We're for Baby of Sana", Sidharth said while Sana anxiously waited.

"You are?", the lady asked.

"Aaa...", Sidharth hesistated to say father. Would Sana like him to address himself as her baby's father.

"I am her mother. Sana Kapoor", Sana spoke without wasting any more time.

"Come in!", the lady said and the door clicked indicating it being unlocked. Sana paced towards the door and opened it quickly running inside. But she didn't know where her baby was. So she looked at Sidharth and he pointed in the direction.

Her heart paced at double the normal speed not just because of all the marathon she ran to reach here but because she was going to see her baby for the first time. The baby which had been her constant companion during the hardest phase of life and the baby for whom she endured and was ready to endure all the pain in life.

Sidharth led her to the room and she looked stunned at the sight of the tiny baby which lied in the crib.

"Is she..?", he asked pointing at the baby.

Sidharth nodded.

Her lips curved into a shivering smile while her eyes were filled with tears. She ran towards the crib and after a slight hesitation she picked up the baby in her hand gently. She had never held such tiny baby before but this was not just any baby. It was her own flesh and blood. Sidharth observed  Sana who was mesmerised.

"She is soft and tiny..", Sana smile with beaming eyes.

"Didn't you see her before?", Sidharth finally asked the question breaking her trance.

"Huh!!", she gasped and started walking out with the baby.

"Sana.. where are you going?", Sidharth asked.

"I need to save her. I need to save my baby.", Sana uttered with great concern.

"Save her?", Sidharth asked.

"If papa finds her, he will leave her stranded somewhere..", Sana turned around and spoke in frustration.

"What?"

"Yes, he will leave her somewhere. He wants to keep her away from me..", Sana cried holding the baby firmly not knowing she had caused the baby to wake up until the baby cried due to squishing.

"Huh!!", she gasped realising her grasp.

"I am sorry..", she cried upon realising her incompetence of handling the child or parenting. But did she have any other options?

"Oh!! There you are!", the nurse said spotting them standing a little away from the ward the baby was in. Sana shivered and hugged the baby closer to her, thinking that the nurse was here to snatch the baby away from her.  The baby's cry intensified as Sana wasn't holding her properly.

"Awww.. poor thing.. why are you crying?", Nurse said with a smile while Sana and Sidharth looked at her.

"Oh Mommy, you should be supporting her head. She isn't strong enough to hold her head hence holding her this way may cause her problems. Hold her like this", the nurse advised Sana showing her what to do. Sana got scared and learnt the new technique like an obedient student. Sana smiled when the baby cuddled up close to her chest and stopped crying.

"There you go.. Happy baby, happy mommy..",  the nurse smiled.

"And happy daddy..", the nurse said looking at Sidharth's smiling face. Sana glanced at Sidharth. She had totally forgotten how his smiling face looked all this months. That was the same smiling face, which brought happiness to her in the past when they were friends. Before the dreadful day! Her smiling face turned into a frown remembering the day.

"Alright, I've got all the necessary documents for her discharge. This is a very important document. You would need to fill in her name and other details and submit this to register her birth. This is her green book. It has all the details necessary - her growth records, vaccination and some milestones which she would reach in coming years. You would have to track her milestones and get her vaccinated from your general practitioner or civic centre when due. These are some important toll free phone numbers for your help...", the nurse gave out all the details and the two new parents listened to her carefully nodding their head.

...
...
...

Rajeev parked his car in hospital's parking lot and proceeded towards the NICU ward. He was about to ring the intercom when his phone rang. Quickly pulling the phone out of his pocket, he walked away from the door and received the call.

"Hello.."

"Rajeev, Sana is not at home..", Priya cried hysterically into the phone.

The door of the NICU clicked open and Sana and Sidharth walked out.

"Huh? What! What do you mean by Sana is not at home?", Rajeev barked into the phone. Sana who was right behind him shivered hearing her name and father's voice. She knew he was here to take her baby away and abandon her somewhere.

"Papa.."

_________

To be continued