Chapter 27: Recap

It's over. The third execution...is over. Celestia Ludenburg, the Ultimate Gambler's death is over. The class trial is over.

"Isn't it just awful? Someone couldn't cut free of their regrets from the outside world, and so more people had to die... You guys are still young! You need to place more value on your lives! Jeez... And here I thought you guys were gonna pass the torch of hope to the next generation!" Monokuma said.

"Wh-What do I care about hope!? I'll throw it in the trash if you just let me out of here!" Hiro cried.

"You're all the embodiment of hope, whether you like it or not. And it's my destiny to knock you down one by one! It's sad, yes it is. But that reality just can't be avoided," Monokuma said.

"Don't talk like you're not responsible... How long are you gonna make us keep going through this!? What do you want from us!?" Makoto shouted.

"God, I'm so sick of people asking me that! Give it a rest already!" Monokuma turned his attention to Kyoko. "So anyway... Kyoko, did I see you get some kind of key-type object from Celeste? So uh...what's the deal with that?"

"..." Kyoko stayed silent.

"Huh? What's the matter?"

"I'll answer your question, if you answer mine," Kyoko said and gave the bear a stern look. "What did you do? What did you...do to me?"

"...What!?"

"Answer me. What did you do to my body?"

"Uwaaah! Oh man, oh jeez... Oh man, oh jeez! What do you mean, what did I...do!? I-I have no idea...! I don't know anything about it...!"

"..." Kyoko closed her eyes and bowed her head to the ground.

What is she talking about?

"Okay, things are getting kinda awkward. I think it's about time I got out of here... Meanwhile, you guys can go on enjoying your school life. If you get lonely, gimme a shout! Not that I'll do anything about it, of course! Puhuhu... See ya!" Monokuma disappeared and left us all depressed and in despair. But through all this despair, there was one small hope.

"Hey, Kyoko. Monokuma already mentioned it, but... What's that key that Celeste gave you?" Makoto asked her.

"Most likely..." Kyoko showed everyone the key. "It's the key to one of the dressing room lockers."

"What!? Then that means...!" Hina trailed off.

"Celeste probably hid it in there," Byakuya said.

"It was right under our noses this whole time," I gasped.

"I suppose sometimes it's easiest to miss what's right beneath your nose. Well then, we'd better go check," Sakura suggested.

"Good idea," agreed Kyoko.

=======

We all left the courtroom and headed to the dressing room as quickly as we could. As we approached the dressing room, Kyoko turned to us.

"I'm going to go on alone from here. Everyone else head to the dining hall. I'll check in with you later."

"Why, exactly, are you going alone?" Byakuya questioned.

"Do you even have to ask?" Kyoko asked and glanced quickly at the surveillance camera.

"That's not what I meant. Why 'you'? There's still the risk of a spy, you know," Byakuya reminded.

"..." Kyoko went silent.

"Then I'll go too," Makoto volunteered.

"You...?" Byakuya glared at Makoto.

"Please, let me go!" Makoto begged.

"...Standing here arguing is going to draw more attention to us. Hmph. Do whatever you want," Byakuya said and walked away.

Makoto smiled. "Thank you, Byakuya."

"Then it's up to you now," Sakura said and walked away.

"I'm gonna go to the dining hall, okay?" Hiro followed after Sakura.

"Huh? So Makoto and Kyoko are gonna go...together? Ahh! Does that mean what I think it means!? Good luck, Makoto! Girls like her are total pushovers when you show a little backbone!" Hina squealed and ran off.

"Well...good luck I guess," I said and followed after Hina, leaving Kyoko and Makoto alone.

In the dining hall, we all sat and chatted for a bit. Kyoko came in a few minutes later and told us that Alter Ego was unharmed, and the files would be ready by tomorrow. She sounded so relieved. After a while, the nighttime announcement came on and we all headed back to our rooms. When I climbed into bed, I did a recap of everyone that had died.

Sayaka was killed by Leon. Monokuma killed Junko because she broke a rule. Then Leon got executed for his crime. Then Mondo killed Chihiro out of jealousy and anger and got executed. Hifumi killed Taka, and Celeste backstabbed Hifumi and killed him. Then 'she' got executed. There are now eight of us left. Who's next to die? Who's gonna strike next?

There were a lot more questions than answers. But the main question I had as I drifted off to sleep was...

Who is the spy?

A Next Generation Legend! Stand Tall, Galactic Hero!

THE END

Surviving Students: 8

To Be Continued