Chapter 42: To the Headmaster's Room

The six of us made our way to the fourth floor and stood in front of the big door of the headmaster's room. Makoto reached out to the doorknob and tried turning it.

*Rattle rattle*

"It's locked. As expected," Byakuya said.

"So...what are you gonna do?" Makoto asked.

"Isn't it obvious? We're going to tear this door off its hinges," Byakuya answered.

"Wait, but...the rules say--" Hina spoke, but Byakuya interrupted.

"We've seen that the mastermind isn't watching us. Those don't matter anymore."

"But like Makoto said... If the mastermind did show up while we were in there..." Hiro said.

"Then we'll just have to finish our business before that can happen," Byakuya finished.

"Okay, sure...but..." Hiro hesitated.

"We've come this far, we can't back down now. We agreed this is what we have to do. So we have to do it."

"S-So beautiful...!" Toko gushed.

Hiro sweat dropped. "For serious...?" he asked her.

"We don't have any choice... We're desperate! Let's do it! Let's rip this door down!" Hina yelled.

"Alrighty then. So...does anyone have any ideas on how to do that?" I questioned.

"Yeah... This thing looks pretty sturdy..." Hiro examined.

"Then we'll need something sturdy of our own," Byakuya said.

"Oh...what about that one thing?" Makoto suggested. "The thing in the toolshed..."

"You mean the pickaxe?" I asked.

"Interesting. That could very well be exactly what we need," Byakuya said. He then turned to Toko. "Now then... Toko, what time is it?"

"W-Well, when we left the gym, it was j-just before 9 o'clock. So it's probably 9 on the d-dot now..." Toko answered.

"Okay. Go get the pickaxe and be back here by 9:01," Byakuya ordered.

"What!?" I shrieked.

"That's straight-up unreasonable!" Hiro yelled.

"I-I-I...! By m-myself...?" Toko stuttered.

"Surely you like to have your me-time once in a while, right?" Byakuya suggested.

"W-Well...if it's me-and-you-time, Master, then y-yeah..." Toko blushed.

"Here we go again..." I muttered.

"You know how much time it took you to say that? Ten seconds. Take too long, and I'll erase your existence from my consciousness," Byakuya threatened.

"UnacceptabbbbbbllllLLLLLLEEEEEEE!!!" Toko shrieked and ran off as fast as she could, and loud as a herd of rabid elephants.

"Don't you always try to do that though?" I asked Byakuya.

"It's called motivation, and it makes the job quicker and faster," Byakuya explained.

"For serious, though...are we just gonna knock this door down?" Hiro questioned.

"No problem is solved by running away. Find your stones and be a man."

"Maybe, b-but I'm still super stressed... I'm so tense, I can hardly talk... I'm all flubbust--no... I'm totally flabbag--flapstaf--"

"Fapsauce!?" The voice of Genocide Jill spoke from behind us.

"AHH!" I screamed.

"Gross! Where'd that come from! Wait, Genocide Jill? Where'd YOU come from!?" Hiro panicked.

"Hello hello! It's the wondiferous, murdiferous fiend, here to greet you with a razor-sharp smile! Kyeeehahahaha!" Jill greeted and laughed.

"What about the pickaxe? Where is it?" Byakuya questioned her.

"I was supposed to pick an axe...?" Jill questioned.

"No, you seeping imbecile. The 'pickaxe'..." Byakuya clarified with a mix of angry and annoyed tones.

"S-Seeping imbecile!? Oh, Master! You wound me with your executive-level barbs! Bushwah! Here comes the bloody nose!"

"Seriously, though...did you really forget the pickaxe?" Hina asked.

"Omega-3 fatty acids, that's what you need! Great for the ol' memory factory!" Hiro advised.

"But I think we already established that their memory doesn't carry over when they switch..." Makoto reminded us.

"Yeah... She did say that in the last trial," I confirmed.

"This is a level of uselessness I find difficult to tolerate..." Byakuya said with a scoff.

"Ah! The light bulb just went on! That's why I went to the garden, right!? I was supposed to get the pickaxe! Alright, we've solved one mystery! That means there's just one more mystery left!" Jill announced.

"One more mystery...?" Makoto repeated.

"Yup! Now we just need to figure out the identity of Object X!" Jill said.

"Object X?" I repeated confusedly.

"Now what are you talking about...?" Hina questioned.

"Did you already forget what we were talking about? You're like, missing out on life..." Hiro sighed.

"I'm not missing out on life! In fact, I found one in the garden!" Jill yelled.

"What...? What did you find?" Makoto asked.

"Kuh...oar...puss..." Jill pronounced.

We all gave her a confused look.

"Didja hear me!? I said corpse!" Jill repeated.

"A corpse...!?" Makoto yelled.

"That's right! I found a corpse in the garden!" Jill announced.

"Well then. Before we enter the headmaster's room, it appears we have something else to look into. We're going to the garden," Byakuya ordered.

"O-Okay...!" Makoto complied.

We all ran as fast as we could to the garden. As soon as we entered the garden...I saw it.

A corpse lying on the ground, with a mask covering its face.