Chapter 37: What Did the Mastermind Do to Us?

A.N: Hey everyone! It's been a while since I last updated. Collage sucks and my motivation hasn't been the same as it was before. But now that the semester is over, I now have time to update at my usual schedule. So without further ado, enjoy this long-awaited chapter.

=======

"Y-You...!" Makoto shook in anger.

"You suck, man! You turned him into a mangled hunk of junk!" Hiro cried.

"Whew, that really took it outta me! Maybe I'll go grill up a plate of chicken! After all, they say for post-workout grub, chicken's where it's at! And I'm all about the grilled goodness! Fried? Broiled? Gimme a break! The color, the smell, the succulence... Grilled is where it's at! Ahh-hahahaha!" Monokuma laughed.

I clutched my hands into a fist as I glared at Monokuma in anger. Alter Ego had been crushed into a gazillion pieces. He was our hope to get out of this hellhole of a school, but Monokuma took it away from us.

"How dare you...? That was my friend! How dare you kill him!?" Makoto shouted.

"Huh? You were friends with a laptop? That's pretty pathetic. What's next, friends with a basketball!?" Monokuma teased.

"Shut the hell up! He wasn't just a laptop. He was my friend! And you killed him!" Makoto yelled.

"Is this what you call animism? Where a soul dwells within all thing? Even, like...laptops? Well, you can call it whatever you want. Bottom line is, it got in my way. It was trying to find things out all sneaky sneaky," Monokuma said.

"So...you finally noticed him," Kyoko said.

"Finally? No no no, I knew about it from the very beginning! I knew Chihiro was doing something with the laptop. And I knew you were using it to analyze data. I knew exactly how it was all gonna play out from the start!" Monokuma explained.

"What...?" Makoto gasped.

"You knew, and you were still cocky enough to let us take the plunge...?" Byakuya gritted his teeth.

"Well, I mean...the data in that laptop? It was...I guess you could call it a gift, from me to you. Or maybe more like a reward, in honor of you being able to unlock something so difficult. So of course I didn't care if you got access to that. Puhuhu... Yeah, the punishment time has made me feel a billion times better! Experiencing a meaningless death is so soothing! It makes me remember that every low can get even lower!"

"No...his death wasn't meaningless, either. Everybody who's died so far... The deaths of each and every one of our friends... They all make us stronger! I swear to God...someday, you WILL pay for this!" Makoto declared.

Monokuma began to sweat. "Holy moly! You're super mad! Like, just unreasonably upset! Okay, time to bring things to a close! Oh, but before that--! I need to read the post script."

"Post script...?" Kyoko repeated.

"You mean there's still more?" I asked.

"Yeah, there's still a bit more left of Sakura's note," Monokuma confirmed.

"Huh...?" Hina looked at him with tears in her eyes.

"Puhuhu... Do I have your attention? Okay then, here we go... Prepare your ears for the dulcet tones of yours truly!"

-------

"...One other thing, Hina. There's something I'd like you to tell the others. Hopefully it will act as a clue to help you unravel the mystery of this school. I've spoken with the mastermind off and on the whole time I've been here, and so I've learned one thing... Which is...the mastermind has done something to us. I think what they've done is--"