Chapter 39: Where is Kyoko?

*Ding dong, bing bong*

"Good morning, everyone! It is now 7 a.m. and nighttime is officially over! Time to rise and shine! Get ready to greet another beee-yutiful day!"

I groaned as I got out of bed and quickly headed to the dining hall. Soon the others showed up. Makoto, as always, was the last one to arrive.

"You're one minute late, Makoto. How do you explain this?" Byakuya complained.

"S-Sorry. I'm not feeling so great today," Makoto explained.

"You r-really think a tired excuse like that i-is gonna work?" Toko asked.

"Huh? Are you allowed to talk again?" Hiro asked.

"I don't recall giving you permission..." Byakuya said.

"Huh...? I-I just thought... I mean, since a d-day had passed, it had maybe r-reset...S-S-S-S-Sorry! Please don't hate me! Whatever my p-punishment is, I'll accept it! I'll hang a s-sign from my neck that says "Bad Girl"! I'll clean your bathroom w-with my toothbrush...!" Toko said while rubbing her hands through her hair.

"If you stop making disgusting comments like that, 'maybe' I can forgive you," Byakuya said.

"Th-Thank you! I won't make any more d-disgusting comments, I promise...! If I do, you can stuff m-my mouth full of trash... As long as i-it's you and no one else, I d-don't mind...!" Toko drooled.

"Please stop! It's too early to be sick!" I begged.

"It's no use. She's disgusting to the bone..." Hiro sighed.

"Anyway, where's Kyoko? I haven't seen her this morning..." Hina pointed out.

"Not cool! This is worse than being late for lunch, for a date, for your wedding, for anything!" Hiro yelled.

"Maybe she's mad about what happened yesterday, and she's not gonna show up anymore..." Hina suggested.

"Maybe..." I said.

"Whatever her reason, I'm curious to know what she 'is' doing," Byakuya said. "I know she's not in her room, so..."

"Oh yeah, you still have her key, right?" Hiro asked.

Just then, Monokuma popped up. "Ah, are you looking for Miss Kirigiri?"

"Wgah! What do you want now!?" Hiro asked.

"I'm right, right? You're wondering where Miss Kirigiri is, right?" Monokuma asked.

"D-Do you know where she is...?" Makoto asked him.

Monokuma began to sweat. "Hmm... Well, it's hard to say..."

"Huh? You don't know, either!?" Hiro gasped.

"It's because he doesn't know. That's why he's here--to try and prod us for information," Byakuya explained with a scowl on his face.

"Hey, don'tcha hate it when you ask someone what their favorite movie is, and they name some indie bullcrap?" Monokuma questioned.

"I feel like I'm g-getting whiplash, the way he changed s-subjects like that..." Toko muttered.

"So? Was I right? You're looking for Miss Kirigiri! Any idea where she might have gone...?" Monokuma asked.

"...We have no idea," Byakuya answered.

"And even if we did know, we wouldn't tell 'you'!" Hina declared.

"For serious!" agreed Hiro.

"Hmm... I see..." Monokuma turned his back on us. "Well, fine. Whatever! I don't even care anymore! Sayonara, suckers!" As soon as he was gone, we all glanced around at each other.

"So...what was that just now? Does that mean Monokuma doesn't know where she is, either?" Hina questioned.

"It would seem that way..." Byakuya said.

"It's like Kyoko vanished into thin air," I said.

"Where the heck could she have gone...?" Hiro asked.

"Don't you think we should all go look for her?" Hina suggested.

"And how would you suggest we approach that task? Even Monokuma can't seem to locate her..." Byakuya said.

"Yeah...how can he not know where she is?" Hiro questioned.

"So strange..." Hina commented.

We spent the rest of breakfast talking about where Kyoko could have gone. Afterwards, we returned to our rooms.