Chapter 38: The Fifth and Final Floor

100 Mile Dash; Pain of a Junk Food Junkie

Daily Life

The next day after Sakura's class trial that morning, we all met in the dining hall.

"So, let's begin the usual post-trial investigation," Byakuya announced.

"Hey, you didn't make small talk or anything! We never just get straight to the point like that!" Hiro pointed out.

"If you want to keep up with me, you must refrain from pointless small talk," Byakuya explained.

"Jeez, how high is that horse of yours?" Hina asked.

"Very high," I answered.

"He just acts like that to hide his own insecurities. That's what I like to think, anyway..." Hiro said.

"Regardless, if you want to defeat the mastermind, you need to follow my lead. They creep around the school like a mouse, but the mastermind's pride is as bloated as a cow's udder. And no matter what it takes, I 'will' rid this world of them..." Byakuya declared.

"..." Toko said nothing.

"Hey, Toko...you've been pretty quiet," Hiro observed.

"..."

"Man, you're so boring now! You just sit there, like a mushroom. Gonna start calling you Miss Mushroom!" Hiro teased.

"..."

"She didn't snap back at you..." Hina noticed.

"Toko, are you okay?" I asked.

"Her talking makes things difficult. So I told her not to open her mouth without permission," Byakuya explained.

"What!? But if she can't open her mouth, she can't eat! Or drink water!" Hina yelled.

"I don't care," Byakuya simply said.

"Of course you don't..." I scoffed.

"And you're okay with that, Toko!?" Hiro asked her.

"..."

"Jeez, how low is that rock you're hiding under...?" Hiro sighed.

"I believe this is the small talk Byakuya warned us against," Kyoko said.

"And yet...I let myself get involved. But it is now finished. I will never allow you to drag me down to your level again. We're going to begin our search. Stop running your mouths and start moving your legs," Byakuya ordered.

Pressured by an obviously irritated Byakuya, we all started our exploration.

=======

And so, with Byakuya leading us, we all went up to the newly opened fifth floor and were greeted with pleasant blue lighting and with sparse foliage on the sides.

Huh... It's totally different from all the floors we've seen up till now. For some reason it feels pleasant, but at the same time...unpleasant.

I began my exploration with a very large wooden door. I slide it open to reveal the school dojo. Across from it were full-bloom cherry trees. Kyoko was there staring at them. I walked up to her and admired the cherry trees up close.

"It's quite elegant," Kyoko spoke.

"It sure is. This is something you consider elegant?" I asked.

"I lived overseas for a long time, so this kind of Japanese-style scenery is refreshing," Kyoko explained.