Class Trial #4 Part 3: The True Culprit

"The one who killed Sakura...was Sakura herself," Makoto revealed, pointing to Sakura's portrait.

"Gah...!" Hina gasped and covered her mouth.

Byakuya couldn't believe what he had heard. "Wh-What...? The killer was...Sakura?"

"No..." I muttered in disbelief.

"Wait, so you're saying...it was suicide!?" Hiro cried out.

"I-I don't believe it! I don't believe it any more than I believe I can fly!" Jill said.

"I can't believe it, either. Or rather, I don't 'want' to believe it. But when you really think about it, everything matches up," Makoto said. "Sakura went and got the poison. She barricaded herself in a room, and she drank it...all so she could end her own life. And that explains why we couldn't solve the mystery of the locked room. ...The locked room mystery was created by Sakura."

"I'm sure she locked herself in so nobody could stop her from doing what she did. She sat there, drank the poison, and breathed her last breath... And the empty bottle of poison rolled around the locked room, until we came and opened it. At that point, someone grabbed the bottle and snuck it out of the room. And that was you, wasn't it Hina?" Kyoko explained and pointed at Hina.

"Ng...gaah..." Tears filled Hina's eyes again.

"You did it to throw off the investigation, didn't you? When we found her body, you stayed right there near the door with Hanako. Because you already knew Sakura was dead, and because the bottle of poison had rolled near the doorway," Kyoko explained.

"That's when you picked up the bottle, wasn't it? Makoto and I were too shocked to notice anything, and Kyoko was busy checking the body," I said.

"And the more I think about it, the more I realize how unusual your actions were," Kyoko continued.

-Flashback-

"... I have to go get them... I have to go get...the others..." Hina said and left the rec room with shaky legs.

-End of Flashback-

"You said you were going to go get everyone else...but your real intention was to go to the chem lab and switch out the containers, wasn't it? Once you were at the chem lab, you headed straight to the section where the protein powder was kept. There, you took the powder and poured it into the bottle of poison you'd grabbed from the rec room. When you left the lab, all you had was the empty protein can. Thinking about it like that, the footprints make perfect sense."

"When you were done, you gathered everyone together, and once you were back in the rec room..." Makoto continued.

-Flashback-

"I got everyone..."

"Uwah! O-Ogre!?"

"Oh. So she's dead, huh?"

"Sakura's been killed? I see..."

-End of Flashback-

"While everyone else was focused on Sakura, you quietly placed the can on the ground," Makoto said.

"..." Hina stayed silent.

"Honestly, I should have noticed... You should have been the first one to run up to Sakura's lifeless body. The Hina I know never would have left her side in a situation like that..." Makoto said.

"..."

"So, Sakura committed suicide. In order to hide this fact, Hina undertook a series of actions to undermine the investigation. As long as you could disguise the truth, you didn't care if we blamed you for her death. That's why you didn't bother to get rid of such obvious evidence, right?" Kyoko explained. "The footprints in the powder, and the bottle of poison. Vital pieces of evidence, and yet..."