childish behavior

When I was younger, I wanted the story book, written in the stars type of love. The kind of love where you hold boom boxes outside of each others windows and write your initials in the sand.

Then I met Chris.

"Fuck off," I swatted my boyfriends hand away from me, only for him to try and grab my face again, "Bro, I swear to—Stop!" He erupted into laughter as I flipped us over and crossed his arms over his chest, leaving him basically immobilized.

"Hey, gu—whoa, whoa, whoa, shielding my eyes!" Nick covered his eyes as soon as he entered Chris' room and I began laughing, "Learn to lock your door!" I let go of Chris' arms and he sat up next to me.

"We're not doing anything bad," I admitted, "Chris keeps squishing my face and it's annoying."

"I—what!? You did it first!" Chris spun towards me to argue and I flipped him off.

"Matt wants food," Nick told us, his eyes still covered with his hands, "Are you guys coming or not?"

"Only if we can stop at Starbucks." I continued smacking Chris' finger away from me and each time I did, he'd continue poking my cheek, "Christopher Sturniolo, I will break that damn finger like a baby carrot!"

"Y/n L/n, I will break your—"

"Okay, that's enough!" Nick uncovered his eyes and corralled us out the bedroom door like a herd of cattle as we laughed amongst ourselves, "Matt, let's go!"

"I've been waiting on you guys!" Matt was standing by the door ready to go, "Nice pajamas. What are you, five?" I looked down at my Lightening McQueen pajama pants and scoffed.

"Don't yuck my yum, bitch." I flicked his ear and he pulled away quickly as I walked out the door.

"She flicked me!" Matt told Chris, then pointed at me as I stood in front of the van. Chris looked at me, then back to his brother, then lifted his hand and flicked him in his other ear and ran for his life towards me.

"Beautiful execution!" I cheered as Matt rolled his eyes and got into the drivers seat, "Dibs on front seat!" As I spun around, Chris wrapped his arm around my torso and lifted me off the ground to place me a few feet away so he could race for the front, "Bitch!" The door closed before I could stop him and I saw him lock it. Accepting defeat, I got in the back next to Nick.

"How did Chris manage to find and date the female version of himself?" Nick asked anyone that was willing to provide an answer.

"I got lucky," Chris reached his hand behind him and rested it on my knee, shaking it gently before letting go and returning it to his lap, "But, like, for real though, I'm starving."

"That romantic moment was short lived," Matt joked as he started the car, "I'm surprised it even happened."

"What do you mean?" I asked, genuinely curious as to what he meant. Chris and I are plenty romantic.

"Have you guys ever even went on a date?" Nick intercepted my question and threw me another one. I thought about it for a second and shrugged.

"We sleep next to each other," Chris said, "We watch movies and share snacks."

"How much more romantic do we need to be?" I asked them, "I'm not about to feed him grapes while we have a picnic at sunset."

"That's disgusting," Chris leaned forward in his seat and gave me a grossed out look, "I love ya, but absolutely not. I'm not letting you feed me, that's insane."

"I'm just saying, like, go out and eat dinner somewhere. Talk about your futures and why you guys love each other," Nick explained.

"It's healthy." Matt added as he backed out of the driveway, "and very normal."

"We'll think about it," I leaned back in my seat. Maybe it would be nice to go out with just Chris. I wasn't sure what we would do, but I'm sure we could think of something.

>>>>>

"So, I was thinking," Chris plopped down on the couch next to me and wrapped his arm around my shoulders, lightly pushing me into his chest, "What if we put a bunch of blankets and pillows in the back of the van and watched movies on your laptop?" I sat up and furrowed my brows in happy surprise, a smile forming on my lips.

"Are you asking me on a real date?" I asked. He rolled his eyes and wiped the smirk off his face.

"Not if you call it that," He chuckled, "Just a chance for us to spend time together."

"So a date?" I reiterated.

"Yeah, sure, whatever," He shrugged, "A date." He waved his hands in the air, dramatically emphasizing the word 'date' as he got off the couch, "Yes or no?"

"Obviously yes." I replied. A weird twisting feeling crept up on me like a weird sense of nervousness.

"Perfect. Meet you in the van in twenty," I don't think he realized all my stuff was in his room, because when he saw me go in the same direction he looked at me like I was ridiculous.

"My shit is in your room, smartass," I lightly shoved his head to the side and ran in front of him down the stairs.

It didn't take us long to change into comfy clothes and gather a bunch of blankets into the van, also folding the seats down for maximum room. We put my laptop on top of an empty Amazon box so we could both see it and got cozy.

"This is nice," I said quietly as the movie began, "Nick said we should talk about serious stuff so whatcha got in that brain of yours?"

"We're actually listening to my brother?" He asked in disbelief. I looked up at him, sending my best death stare his way, "Alright, geez, uh, I don't know. I love you."

"I already know that," I giggled and gathered some blanket to rest under my head as I looked at him, "Be real with me for a second, Chris. Am I part of your future?"

"Of course you are," He replied, "Why wouldn't you be? You're the first girl I've ever been this comfortable around. You don't overwhelm me and whenever you go out with your friends, I know I don't have to worry about anything 'cause I trust you."

"I love you." I stated, also replying to him from when he said it moments ago, "I love that everything is so easy with you, but I want us to be able to have these talks, too."

"We can," Chris assured, "Whenever you want, just let me know." He brushed some hair out of my face and hovered over me, staring at me with blush on his cheeks before placing a quick kiss onto my lips, "Now pass the sour patch kids I know you tried to sneak past me."

"Dammit!" I groaned, "I thought you didn't see them." I reached in my backpack and grabbed the bag, smacking it into his hand in defeat. I watched as he ripped the bag open and threw one into his mouth.

"Catch," He didn't even give me time to react before a sour patch kid smacked my forehead, "I said catch, idiot!"

"You didn't let me try!" I argued, "Do it again." I laughed and opened my mouth. He threw another one and it landed on my cheek since my head was tilted back and I struggled until it fell into my mouth, "Give me one." I reached into the bag and gestured for him to try and catch it.

"Go." He readied up and I purposefully threw it at him so he'd have no chance to catch it, "That was bullshit!" I couldn't respond because of how hard I was laughing, which made him join in.

"Okay, okay! I'll be serious this time!" I lied. He got back into position and I, once again, threw the sweet treat right at his nose, making me double over in laughter at his expression. His hands found their way to my sides as he squeezed, causing me to laugh harder at how much it tickled.

We didn't need romantic dates or gestures, because nothing was more promising to us than our childish behavior, like a vow before the altar. Our own beautiful love language.

———

A draft :)

I've been working super hard on a future idea of mine that I really hope you guys love <3 I'm not sure when I'll start posting it, but it's in the works!