kitchen talk

Sorry in advance for any spelling mistakes. I'm too tired to proofread right now so I'll probably do it tomorrow after work <3
———

Chris and I had this weird thing where we'd end up in the kitchen at the same time, usually late at night when everyone else was sleeping. We would stay up and talk before one of us admitted to being too tired to function, then we'd separate and head back to sleep. But tonight was different. Instead of me waiting for him to show up out of nowhere, he was already sitting on the counter drinking a Pepsi when I came down from Nicks room.

"Hey." I said quietly and shuffled my feet to the fridge, "Is that the last one?" I asked, not seeing any Pepsi left.

"Yeah," He extended his arm and I grabbed the can from him, taking a drink before handing it back, "I didn't think you'd come down here tonight." I sat down at the kitchen table and I picked my legs up, crossing them for maximum comfort, "It's, like, five in the morning."

"Yeah, well, Nick is currently starfished and taking up the whole bed," I exhaled a small laugh, "and I couldn't miss our nightly kitchen talk." He jumped down from the counter and sat across from me, finishing his Pepsi as he did.

"What's on your mind," He crossed his arms in front of him and rested his chin on them, looking up at me with his undivided attention, "There's always somethin' going on up in that pretty little head of yours," I playfully rolled my eyes at the compliment and leaned back in my chair as my thumbs twiddled in my lap.

"I feel like I'm not doing enough," I admitted. His eyebrows furrowed, so I explained, "I want to change lives, Chris. I want to write and record music, I want a clothing brand with my name on it, I want to help people the way you guys have always helped me." From the beginning of seventh grade we've been inseparable when Matt was the only one to ask what was wrong when I was crying during lunch. Chris was the first to make me laugh and Nick told me he'd fight the kid who hurt my feelings.

"You do help people, Y/n," He sat up and stretched his arms out, awkwardly fiddling with one hand in the other, "You help me all the time. Whenever something is wrong you're the first person I come to 'cause you know exactly how to make me feel better. Matt comes to you when he's mentally drained 'cause you understand him better than anyone. Nick always asks you for life advice 'cause of the way you carry yourself."

"The way I carry myself?" I asked. I wasn't sure what he meant by that, because in my opinion, I don't carry myself well.

"You go through so much shit, yet no one would know unless you told them 'cause you don't let it show," He explained, "You never let a bad moment ruin your day. Any problem you face, you find a solution. You have so much time to make a brand and write music, don't rush yourself. You can do anything you want and I promise, the three of us will always support you and be there for you."

"Thanks, Chris," I grinned at him and gave his hand a squeeze over the table, "I needed that. I just wish my brain would slow down so I could enjoy the little moments."

"Give me your phone," He put his hand palm up on the table, "I know it's in your front right pocket." He smirked at me and I huffed while sliding my phone out and smacking it into his hand, "First step to enjoying the little moments is having no distractions." He turned my phone off and sat it onto the table next to his.

"What's step two?" I asked, genuinely curious, "Making the moment?" I mocked his 'advice giving' and he snapped, then pointed at me.

"Exactly," Chris pushed his hands onto the table and stood up, "Come on." He reached his hand out and I grabbed it, letting him lead me down the small flight of stairs to the front door where we both slid some shoes on, "Sun rises in an hour." When we exited the house, he kept our hands locked together.

"Never thought you were the sit and watch the sunrise type of guy," I joked. While we walked, our shoulders bumped on another's. It was either a horrible, childish way or flirting or one of us definitely didn't know how to walk straight.

"There's a lot people don't know about me," He shrugged. The sun was very faintly beginning to rise, the horizon painted a pale orange, "I like doing this shit, so why not do it together?" I smiled at him and let the blush creep onto my cheeks, this time not trying to hide it. If there's anything about our connection, it's that having our late night kitchen talks has brought us closer. It made me see him differently and really understand his brain, the way he thinks, and the things he wants out of life.

Chris wants to be happy and surrounded by upbeat people that he loves. He wants to do and see everything life has to offer with the biggest smile on his face. He loves helping people and making them see their worth, because everyone has the potential to change the world if they try hard enough.

"Look at that," I said breathlessly as the sky continued to change hues, "I've never been out this early before." I stared at the sky and from my peripheral, I saw Chris staring at me, the corner of his lips tugging into a closed-mouth smile, "You're staring." I pointed out.

"I know." He admitted, "I stare at you a lot. I like when you're trying to focus and you bite your tongue, or when you're putting mascara on and your mouth opens and you make a weird face. My personal favorite is when you're laughing so hard that your eyes close."

"Why is that your favorite?" We came to a clearing and sat down in the grass. It had the perfect view of the oncoming sunrise. His hand let go of mine, but stayed rested on my leg for comfort.

"Because, I don't know, it's like your most vulnerable state and only some people have seen it," He tried thinking of the right words and looked around, "The best things happen when our eyes are closed."

"Sleep is nice," I joked, nudging his shoulder so he'd catch on, "Get it? 'Cause we close our eyes when we—"

"Yeah, yeah, smartass. I got it," He fake laughed and I swatted his arm, then leaned my head onto it and wrapped my arms around his, "Do you ever think we'd work as more than friends?"

"I've thought about it," I said truthfully, "Do you have the mental capacity or time for a girlfriend, though? With everything going on in your life I don't want to feel disregarded or tossed to the side. I definitely don't want you worrying about balancing a social life, personal life, and a relationship. It wouldn't be fair to be selfish with my wants." I explained.

"What if I wanted to be selfish, too?" He looked down at me and I granted him eye contact by looking up, "Like, what if your wants were my wants?"

"Are they?" This is the moment I've anticipated and dreaded. I knew the time would come where Chris and I had a conversation about our feelings, I was just hoping it wouldn't happen for awhile longer. I liked how things were and I didn't want them ruined by bad timing. I didn't want Chris to be my right person, wrong time.

"Yeah." Hearing him say it out loud made me internally scream like a kid at their favorite amusement park, "Not to be all gross and cheesy, but right now seems like a good time to ask." I fixed my posture so I was sitting straight and he mirrored me, "Will you be my girlfriend?"

"Absolutely." His small grin turned into a full blown smile. The sun beginning to peak over the horizon made this moment look right out of some Hallmark movie. Out of happiness, Chris wrapped his arm over my shoulder and pulled me into his chest, squeezing me. I turned so my head fell into his lap and his arm draped over my torso as he looked down at me. His hand traveled up to my face and held it gently, his eyes staring at me as if he was memorizing every feature, "You're staring again."

"I know," He leaned down and gently let his lips graze mine, then closed the gap and connected them, "I'll definitely do it again."

And somehow, someway, one simple kitchen talk changed my life. It brought me you. Chris Sturniolo.

———

Another half done draft finished and published 💪🏼

I genuinely feel so empty rn and idk why, so I hope this imagine is good <3

Also, after tomorrow I have a few days off work so I'll FINALLY have time to focus and work on my longer imagines for you guys! I'm excited to get them published :)

Should I do a 'right person, wrong time' imagine? If so, Matt or Chris? Happy or sad ending?