from a distance

This one is a little different than my other imagines because it's short and there's not a ton of dialogue. If you guys like it then I'll make a part two
———

Matt's pov

I will love her from a distance forever if I have to, because although the memory of our love burns a hole in my chest, it's better than forgetting her completely.

"Mom, please." I groaned and rested my chin atop my hand, which was supported by my elbow on the side of the couch, "She said she wasn't ready. Stop bringing it up."

"I just want to know what happened," She argued, "She was a sweet girl."

"I know." My brothers looked at me and then our mother, a sympathetic look in their eyes. Although we always joked with one another, they knew better than to mess around with mentioning my ex.

To distract myself from conversation, I grabbed my phone and scrolled through my socials. Picture after picture, I scrolled past them all until I landed on a photo of her. She was opening for a concert she's only ever dreamed of attending. Her smile wide and eyes so full of life, I've never seen her so happy before.

The breakup wasn't anyone's fault and I let her believe it was mutual, telling her I also didn't think I had time for a relationship. But, the truth is, I only had time for her.

Now all I can do is watch from afar as she lives out her wildest dreams through a screen. As much as it upset me seeing her be happy without me, I couldn't help but be proud of how far she's come. From middle schoolers with nothing other than an iPod and horrible video ideas to full grown adults with agendas full of meetings, mic testings, and meet and greets.

It should be illegal to meet the love of your life when the other isn't ready, a sin only so dreadful it punishes you forever. But that was selfish, and I knew she deserved only the most selfless form of love. Someone who says they're proud of her each and every day, memorizes her coffee order just because, and never lets her forget how beautiful she is when she first wakes up.

I'll always remember the way she rolled over to tell me good morning before even touching her phone, the way she looked at me with eyes so full of love I thought we were living in some cheesy romance movie, or the way she played with my hair every night while we watched TV.

I've had flings with other girls, but none of them compared to being with her. I'd lose everything just to spend five more minutes in the same room as her. No words had to be said, just feeling her presence was enough for me.

"Matt." Nick said sternly, "Moms talking to you."

"Oh, sorry." I looked over to MaryLou, her eyes wondering from my phone screen to look at me, "What'd you say?"

"I said, what do you want for dinner?"

"Whatever you guys want is fine." I mentally disengaged from the conversation yet again to get one more glimpse at the girl I used to call mine.

I don't know if she'd ever come back to me, but I'd wait every day for that moment.

I locked my phone and forced myself to close my eyes to ground myself back to reality, wanting nothing more than this day to end so the next one could begin.

It hurts.

It hurts so damn bad.

Because,

I will love her from a distance forever if I have to, because although the memory of our love burns a hole in my chest, it's better than forgetting her completely.

"Matthew, there's someone at the door for you."

———

Ending this short imagine on a cliffhanger cause I'm tired. Sorry <3