always been you

This one is kinda like 'Inevitable' so I hope you enjoy! :)
———

*fourteen*

Nick was practically ignoring me as I spoke, only picking up on key words, "It hurt my feelings!" I yelled.

"Why?" Nick looked up at me with furrowed brows, "He's just a dumb guy." I turned away from him, then heard two more pairs of footsteps enter the room so I turned back around to see Chris and Matt.

"Why are you crying?" Chris asked. He was confused as well, but showed more concern than Nick.

"Her boyfriend broke up with her in gym class," Nick deadpanned with a shrug, "I told her it's just a dumb guy, but she—"

"Did he say why?" Matt cut Nick off. He could probably tell Nick was being slightly blunt with his replies.

"Nope," I wiped my face to rid the tears, "He was my first boyfriend." I know we're young, but I really did like him and first boyfriends are a big deal.

"He's a jerk." Chris replied while picking up a Wii remote, "Play Mario Kart with us. You'll stop crying," He promised. I decided to trust my best friends and sit on the couch, entering the game and picking our characters.

While we played, Chris and I bumped shoulders whenever we took sharp turns, then laughed at ourselves. By the end of the second race, my tears were completely gone.

"You were right." I said to Chris, "I'm not crying anymore."

"Good." He replied, "Boyfriends suck anyway."

*eighteen*

"When is he supposed to be here?" My dad asked as his foot tapped the wood planks of the porch anxiously, "Prom starts in an hour, you're going to be late." I shrugged a response, trying not to think of the worse possible outcome. He'd be here. By he I mean Luke, my prom date.

As we waited for his arrival, I felt my phone go off in my hand and checked it.

Luke
Hey, sorry to do this. I'm taking Veronica to prom instead. Have fun though!

"Great." I laughed sarcastically and lifted my arms, letting them fall back to my sides with a light smack, "He's standing me up for Veronica."

"Who the hell is Veronica?" My dad asked, "Y'know what? I don't care. My shotgun is in the closet, I can—"

"Woah, no violence," I grabbed his shoulder before he could walk inside, "I'll just go alone. It doesn't matter."

"My beautiful girl can't go to prom alone," My dads face softened, "Why don't you stay home and watch movies with me, huh? We haven't done that in years."

"Yeah...we can do that." I responded softly. I felt a weird pit in my stomach. Saying it didn't hurt that he was choosing her over me would be a lie. When would I be someone's first choice?

After changing into comfortable clothes, I sat on the couch with my dad and tightened the blanket around me. Tonight would be a good night. Screw prom and screw him.

Halfway through the first movie, I heard a knock at the door, "Be right back." My dad got off the couch and disappeared around the corner.

"Who is it!?" I yelled out in curiosity. Muffled voices softly echoed into the room and I threw the blanket off me, making my way to the front door.

"Surprise!" My dad stepped aside to reveal Chris, "I texted him about movie night." He smiled proudly at me.

"You ditched prom?" I asked Chris, my dad stepping out of the room to let us talk. Chris shrugged with a smile.

"I had better things to do," He answered, "I'm sorry about Luke." He closed the door behind him and slid his shoes off, "Didn't I tell you a long time ago that boyfriends suck?"

"You did." I couldn't help but smile at the fact he was here, proving our friendship is stronger than I thought, "Just wanted to feel special for once, I guess." My smile faded and he wrapped his arms around me in a tight hug.

"You are special, Y/n." He said quietly, "You don't need a guy to tell you that." We sat in silence for a moment enjoying the comfort of one another.

"I'm unpausing the movie!" My dad yelled. We separated and chuckled at my dads excitement, "This is the best part!"

"Can't miss that." Chris tugged me along and joined me on the couch, "Share." He pulled some of my blanket over his legs.

The rest of the night was filled with laughter, playful banter, and bonding.

*twenty*

7:42 pm

I let out a deep sigh and placed my phone back onto the table. Forty-two minutes late and for some reason I'm still sitting here waiting, the only thing in front of me was a half empty glass of water.

"Are we still waiting for one more?" The waitress asked again, this time sweeter as if she knew what was going on.

"Yeah, I'm sorry." I apologized, "Does someone else need the table?" I asked. Maybe another couple was here on a date and I didn't want my horrible night to ruin theirs, too.

"Sweetheart, you're fine. Wait as long as you'd like." She smiled, "Refill?" She gestured to the water and I nodded my head.

Once my cup was full of water again, I sunk into the booth seat and continued pouting. Why does this always happen to me? Am I the problem? This would be my third date with the guy and I can't believe I messed it up already. No text, no call, just radio silence.

"What's got you looking all sad?" A familiar voice asked, then Chris himself slid into the booth across from me, "Water? Really?" He eyed my glass and I tilted my head, wondering why and how he was here.

"Uh, yeah," I sat up straight, "What are you doing here?" Instead of answering my question, he politely waved the waitress over and began ordering as if he was supposed to be here.

"Can I get the personalized pizza?" The waitress jotted down his order as he told her the toppings, "She's gonna have the Chicken Alfredo, extra sauce. Can she get a lemonade as well?"

"Of course," She nodded, "How am I splitting the bill?"

"It's all on one," Chris answered with a small grin. Once she was gone, I began catching on to what he was doing, which was saving me from the embarrassment of being stood up.

"How did you even know I was here?" I asked, "We're you stalking me?"

"It's not stalking." He argued, "It's thinking you got kidnapped 'cause you haven't answered your phone in almost an hour. I had Matt drop me off and saw you sitting alone."

"It's like prom all over again," I rolled my eyes. He knew I was referring to the first time a guy ever stood me up.

"It doesn't have to be." Chris said. The look in his eyes was something I've seen before, it was a certain look of care and adoration. A look he's only ever given me, but I'm just now piecing together the puzzle.

"It's always been you, hasn't it?" I asked, "And I was too blind to see it." He now had an all-knowing smirk on his lips.

"I've watched guys walk all over you since we were fourteen." He began, "That's not happening anymore. Ever." He said the words sternly, as if he was making a promise, "Its crazy to me how any guy could be okay with losing you."

"What are you trying to say?" I rested my hands under my chin, my elbows on the table for support as I gave him my undivided attention.

"Listen, I've never been in a relationship. The idea of me dating anyone is insane, but I want to try." He explained, "And I don't know if that's what you want or how you feel about that, but—"

"Let's try." I cut him off. His eyes widened slightly in surprise, "Me and you."

"Me and you." He promised.

———

Idk how much I like this, but Chris fluff was requested. I really don't see him being super lovey-dovey or anything crazy but I can totally see him showing up to save a ruined date for someone he cares about. I hope you liked it :)