inevitable

Make sure you're reading who's pov you're in!
This is a random idea I've been thinking of all day so I hope it makes sense and you enjoy! :)
———

-Everyone has always said it was inevitable that Matt and I would end up together. Like when our parents gushed over the fact that he held my hand in kindergarten-

*throwback*
Y/n's moms pov

"Oh, MaryLou, Jimmy! Look at Matt and Y/n!" I couldn't help but smile as my little girl and her best friend hugged each other. Their backpacks oversized, their arms much too short to wrap completely around the other, but no matter what got in the way, their ear to ear grins held so much happiness.

"Isn't that the sweetest thing," MaryLou and I held our phones up to snap pictures of them, "Nick and Chris, jump in! I want a picture of all four of you!" She waved the other two boys over and they squished my little Y/n in the middle right where she belonged, protected by her best friends.

"Matthew is quite the ladies man," Jimmy nudged my shoulder and sent me a wink, "Better watch out, Sue."

"Y/n will whip him into shape," I joked back and listened as the kids talked to MaryLou about after school plans. Today was their first day of kindergarten and since I worked night shift, they would be taking Y/n throughout the week to relieve some stress off my shoulders.

"Have a good day, kids! Matt, watch out for Y/n! She's little!" MaryLou waved them off and I stood with tears gathering in my eyes as Matt grabbed ahold of Y/n's hand, "When do we start planning their wedding?" She teased.

"Their love is inevitable." I locked arms with my best friend, then said our goodbyes and parted ways when the kids were safely inside the building.

-Or when he was my date to our first school dance-

*throwback*
Y/n's pov

"Mom, do I have to wear this?" Tonight was my first ever school dance and Matt asked me to go with him since we're best friends.

"Honey, you look adorable," I stood in front of the mirror with my hair curled like a poodle, a high-lo dress on, and weird black flats.

"I look like a little girl!" I pouted and crossed my arms over my chest, "I'm in seventh grade, mom! I wanna wear heels!" She giggled at me and separated some curls on the back of my head.

"Not til you're older," She argued and I rolled my eyes. The doorbell rang and she clapped her hands together, "I need pictures before you go!" My mother walked with me to the front door and opened it to reveal Matt in a black suit. He looked grown, so why couldn't I wear heels?

"You look pretty," Matt smiled. MaryLou nudged his shoulder and he widened his eyes, "I got you these." He held a small bouquet of roses out and I grabbed them, awkwardly handing them off to my mom since I wasn't sure what to do with them. I've never gotten flowers from a boy before.

"Thanks," I replied, "My mom wants pictures." We stood in front of not one, not two, but four flashing cameras. The other two belonging to Nick and Chris, their small giggles echoing through my living room as they teased us.

"Matt's got a girlfriend! Matt's got a girlfriend!" Chris sang over and over again. I walked over and stomped on his toes, making him shove my shoulder in return.

"Hey!" Matt yelled and pushed his brother back, "Not cool."

"They're so dating," Nick snickered.