ice skating

After four hours of homework, I'm more than excited to be in bed writing Matt fluff.
———

"And if I fall on my face?" I asked, being slightly serious even though I was laughing.

"I'll catch you." Matt assured, "Once you're going it's not that hard. I promise."

"You won't fall on your face, you'll probably fall on your ass. Then there's a probability you break your tail—"

"Dude," Matt scolded Nick and held his hand up as a silent way of saying 'shut the fuck up', "You're not going to fall or break anything." He repeated to me, "We're all good skaters, if we see you about to fall we'll catch you."

"Speak for yourself. Me and Nate are playing one v. one." Chris argued. Matt glanced at Chris, giving him a sort of death glare, "Geez. Okay, okay. I'll skate over if you don't look steady."

"See? You'll be fine." Matt smirked proudly, knowing I'd give in to their plans of going to the rink.

"Fine. Let me change." I got off the couch and made my way to Matt's room where I was sure to keep extra clothes. I changed into a different sweatshirt and leggings, since they seemed more flexible than jeans to skate in, and made my way back to the guys, "Let's go."

After loading into the van, we made our way to the rink where Nate was waiting for us. Chris got out excitedly and pulled him into a hug, then Nick joined to greet their friend. I've only met Nate a few times, but we get along great, which made Matt happy.

Matt joined me around the front of the van and grabbed my hand into his, "Nate! Remember Y/n?"

"How could I not?" Nate chuckled, "What's up?"

"Bracing myself for something horrible to happen," I joked, "I have no idea how to skate."

"We rented the whole place out, so you've got room to learn," Nate walked backwards with his arms outstretched, then pulled them back in and turned around.

When we got into the building, Chris went to get everyone hockey sticks and Matt dropped their duffel bag of their own personal skates, "What size do you wear? I'll go grab them."

"Boyfriend test." I snickered at him. Whenever Matt asks something I've told him a thousand times, I say 'boyfriend test' to see if he'll get it right. Thankfully, we both found the humor in it. Matt disappeared, only to come back a few minutes later with some white skates.

"Put them on," I grabbed them from him and slid them on my feet, a perfect fit, "I pass?"

"With flying colors," I smiled before lacing them up. The guys got onto the ice before me, making a couple rounds so I didn't hold them back completely. I couldn't figure out how they were all so good, they were practically floating across the rink with ease.

"Alright, c'mon." Matt stopped at the little door and held his hand out for me to take. I stood up, wobbling a bit since it felt weird walking, but made it safely to his hand, "One foot at a time."

The left foot hit the ice first and slipped a little, but Matt stopped it with his skate.

"You're okay," Matt reassured quietly as my right foot stepped onto the ice, "I'll pull you with me so you can feel it out."

"Okay," I said shakily. I wasn't scared of ice skating, I was scared of falling and getting hurt. Matt pulled me slowly, then a little faster, "Matt. Slow!" I warned.

"We're barely moving!" He stifled a laugh. I pulled my other hand around his arm to maintain my balance, "You're doing good."

"I'm not doing anything," I argued. He was somehow finding amusement in my fear, which made the whole situation a lot lighter.

"Try pushing your foot out in front of you like this," He pointed down to his feet, "See what I'm doing?"

"Kind of." I answered, then tried mimicking his feet.

"Go Y/n!" Nick cheered from the middle of the rink, "Woohoo!"

"Don't fall!" Chris yelled and laughed at himself.

"This is fucking embarrassing," I mumbled to Matt, "I can't do this. I don't understand how to push my feet like that. I'm only moving 'cause you're pulling—"

"Y/n—"

"And how do you stop? I don't get that part eith—"

"Y/n." Matt repeated, making me look over at him. It took me a second to realize he was no longer right next to me, but skating a few feet away, "Did you notice me let go of your hand or were you too busy whining?"

In this moment I felt proud of myself. Even though I was going slow, I was skating completely on my own. The happy moment was ruined when I was skating straight for a wall with no idea how to turn or stop.

"How do I stop?" I asked, worry clearly lacing my words, "Matt?" He sped up, then turned himself quickly to let my chest lightly smack into his. His arms found their way to my sides as he skated backwards, pulling me along with him.

"We'll work on that next." He answered, "Keep practicing going forward for a bit." His hands glided down my arms and grabbed my hands in his, still skating backwards.

Chris, Nick, and Nate continued their antics in the middle of the rink while Matt and I practiced on the outer circle. I felt bad taking him away from guy time, but I have to admit, I was enjoying this moment.

"I can sit on the bench if you wanna play 2 v. 2 or something." I told him.

"We made these plans with you. I'm not making you sit while we have fun," He explained, "Once you're feeling confident, we can find something for us all to do. Okay?" A grin made its way onto my lips and I nodded my head.

"Yeah. Sounds good." After a few more times around, multiple lessons in stopping and turning, and a crash course on how to fall if it were to happen, I was feeling much more confident, "I think I got it."

"Go for it." Matt let go of my hand and slowed, but I continued going on my own.

"There ya go!" Chris began clapping like a proud future brother-in-law, which he often called himself.

"You got it!" Nick added.

"Hell yeah!" Nate clapped along with Chris, both of them acting like crazed fans in the audience.

"That's my girl!" Matt caught up and met me where I started, "I knew you'd catch on."

"I had a pretty good teacher." He lifted my hand above my head and spun me, catching me off guard, which also made me start falling.

"Oh shit!" He gasped and slipped his arms under mine before I smacked the ice. He lifted me back to my feet and I regained my balance.

"Make that mediocre teacher," I corrected. He smiled at me and rolled his eyes, "You dropped me."

"I was trying to be cute!" He justified, "Don't try acting all mad at me. I see right through that shit." My act of anger washed away when he skated in front of me, but I tried keeping the poker face.

"Nope." I argued and looked the other way.

"Oh come on!" Nick yelled, "Kiss and make up so we can play! Y/n can be the ref!"

"I guess," I trailed off, "You're forgiven." Matt leaned in a placed a quick peck to my lips. Maybe ice skating isn't so bad after all.

———

I don't really know what this is, I just started typing. It could definitely be fluffier, but whatever.