Chapter 14

- Third person POV -

Benny sat up, his head throbbing from the alchohol from yesterday, he had met up with Beth and lost it. He missed her so much. Too much. The way that she liked him even if he lost the game. It didn't metter to her if he had past drinking problems. She understood. For a year, he had been lost in alchohol, it was a large problem. Beth had tried to talk to him but he wouldn't listen. His chess games were better without distractions from anyone. Well at least thats what he thought. There was a knock at the hotel room door. His heart lept. He jumped out of bed and ran to the door. Hoping that it was her. He would be able to embrace her. Feel her fingers on his skin. Her hands in his hair. His heart ached from wanting to see her. But when he opend the door, it was Beth. She enterd without saying a word to him. "Benny." She said, picking up the enpty bottles of beer and wine, "I'm fed up with this. I want you to think for a moment, would Y/N want to see you as this?" Benny shook his head violently, forgetting that he had a headache. "Exactly, I want you to sober up for tomorow."
"What is tomorow?" he groaned, trying to remmeber an important detail from the timetable.
"The very prestigious chess party, the one that Mr Richards is hosting! You must know who Mr Richards is!?" Benny nodded and Beth carried on, "Apparently he is going to introduse his fiancee, I bet you that she is a stuck up bitch who is only in it for the money. I want you sober for it, I want you to smile, laugh, act like you are not heartbroken." Benny scrambled up from the bed and yelled,
"I'm not hearbroken! I swear!" Beth snorted
"Do you want me to believe that? Jesus Benny, this is the worst tht I have seen you in a long time. i hope that you can realise that. I don't want you to be stuck in a boos bottle for the rest of your life okay?" Benny nodded
"Jesus, what am I going to do with you."
"Leave me be?" He murmerd. Beth whacked him on the head with the newspaper that had been in her hand the whole time.
"Oh, that was useful then."
"Who am I going with then?" he groaned
"Me and Tim." Benny like Tim, they had been out together a couple of times. "Lets get you a suit."

An hour later, Benny was in a tuxedo shop, trying on different coloured suits. He picked up a black suit with a white shirt and a black tie and said, "This looks alright." He liked hanging out with Beth, they had alot of fun together, he felt like him and Beth were like best friends. Who had sex once, but they don;t talk about that. He slipped the suit on and looked over to the side of the changing rooms, exoecting Y/N to say a remark like, "Wow, don't you catch the eye Watts." and Benny would reply with, "Yeah well all the woman at this party will be all over me," And she would say, "In your dreams Watts." But she wansn't there, of course she wasn't, she probably hated him. WHat if she was married, what if she invites him to the wedding and he watches the only woman he has ever loved het taken away from him. He shakes off the thought and takes a step into the shop and Beth smirks. "You look sexy Watts."
"Oh shut up Harmon." he smirked
"No really, we just need you to get a haircut and the you will be one of the hottest men in that party, apart from Tim of course." Benny chukled,
"I'll get this one then." Beth nodded
"And a haircut!" Beth called as Benny went back to change.

In the Barbers beth was just telling the barber how to cut his hair. Benny was worried that he was going to go bald, But when it was finished, he did look attractive, he decided to be sober from now on. For her. he would think. "Benny," beth began, as they walked back to the hotel,
"Yes Beth?" he asked
"Who are you doing this for?"
"I'm doing it for her."
"See that is where you are going wrong, you are also doing it for yourself, I mean your confidence has one through the roof, you could get any girl that walks into that room tomorow." Beth exclaimed
"Yeah but I wouldn't."
"See? That shows that you are a good person. You are making yourslef feel good, and you won't get with anyone else. I swear, you are just the perfect boyfriend."
"Beth we weren't even dating."
"Hah, could of fooled me. Also, you need to be sober for my wedding, in 3 months!"
"I'm sure that I can manage that."
"I got to go Watts, see you later!"
"Bye Beth." he said

Benny walked down to the cafe and people were talking about how Mr Richards fiancee was so nice, how she spoke to them. They didn't know her name, but they were here. Benny was going to avoid them at all costs, he didn't want to meet this guy and his stuck up finacee. Benny looked at the chess board and thought about the move that he made a year ago, dropping the king on the board because he knew that he couldn't live that life with her. He was willing to stop playing chess nationaly for her, It made him feel sich to the stomach to think that he wrecked that cause, all because he was scared. This has been the toughest year in his life. Opening that first bottle was another mistake that he will always regret. He picked up the white queen and thought about those times that Y/N was worried about him leaving her for a 'prettier girl' or a 'better girl' no one was better than her. He looked around and noticed that no one was looking at him, probably because they were more concernd about Mr Richards and his stuck up wife. All of a sudden, a gilr went to the bar, walking past him, she picked up a glass of red wine and chugged it, then left. Benny didn't bother to look up. As she didn't, he listend in to their conversations, "She didn't even acknoledge us, I feel bad for her."
"I wonder if she is being abused."
"Nah, shes probably just stressed."
"It was fuunny how she had her back turned the whole time that she was in the room."
"She looked like she had seen a ghost."

Sick of their meanless conversation, Benny got up and went to his room, collapsing infront of the chess board, ready to study thn fall asleep, and just wait for that party. Letting himself go one last time, drinking his last glass of champange and then booking a flight to England. To find her.

He had to find Y/N.

A/N= Hello guys! New chapter done today! Might get another one done later! Love you all xx
25.07.2023
1217 words.