Chapter 28

Benny was on our bed. He was quiet. His head was bowed and his hands were on his lap. 

"Benny?" I asked. I sat down beside him and put my arm around him, "Do you want me to go away." Benny shook his head. 

"I want you to stay." he whispered. I wrapped my arms around him and hugged him tight, resting my head on his shoulder.

"I just can't believe after all of these years, they were together behind my back, and they didn't tell me. I wouldn't of minded, like I said, we ended on good terms. And my father knew about it the whole time. None of them even told me."

"Benny , I don't even know how to begin to say that I am sorry." I whispered, he turned to me and said,

"This isn't your fault, you know that." 

"No, but I am sorry that you had to go through it, finding that out must be awful, I am so sorry, if you ever wanna talk, I am here." I said, rubbing my hands over his shoulders. 

"It's more that my father knew, I don't care that they were well are together, why keep a secret like that from me." he looked up at me, tears shone in his eyes.

"Benny..." I began, "Maybe they were worried That you were going to hate them for it."

"I would not hate them for it." He muttered, standing up and placing his back against the wall opposite the bed.

"You don't know how you would feel Benny, you could of been distraught, you loved her. I get it, you can be heartbroken, don't feel like you can't because you are in a relationship."

"I am not heartbroken, I am just taken by shock that is all, I didn't really love her that much, I mean yeah I loved her, but not as much as you." Benny locked eyes with me, I smiled and got up, wrapping my arms around him.

"I love you so much Watts, more than anyone." Benny then smiled into my hair, kissing it quick before pulling away and grabbing my hands, rubbing his thumbs over my knuckles.

"Y/N, I-I"

"Shhh, it's okay, you don't need to-"

"I want you to marry me." he said looking into my eyes. I couldn't think straight, why would he want to marry me? I don't understand, that wasn't even a proper proposal.

"Y/N, this isn't a marriage proposal, I know I am shit at doing that sort of thing, but I wouldn't propose to you like this." Benny chuckled

"I don't understand." I said, letting go of his hands, "Why would you say that if...if..."

"If what?"

"If you weren't actually proposing!" I snapped, glaring at him, I felt my chest heaving, "Benny I want to marry you too, but...but not right now! I don't want to talk about our future when...when." I felt the walls closing in. "When I am in a more stable position! I love you more than anything but I can't marry you!"

"Why not! This isn't even a marriage proposal Y/N! I was just explaining how I felt!"

"Because..." I couldn't mould the words together, my breath was becoming more and more sharp. "Because I'm not marriage material! We...we wouldn't work as husband and wife. I am not in that sort of position. I don't even know what I want to do with my life!"

"Would you just stop thinking about everything else for just 1 second!" Benny yelled, "Y/N please listen to me, I don't want to marry you yet! I don't know what I want to do with my life either!"

I stopped. My mind stopped spinning. I looked at Benny. His gaze softened.

"I am so sorry for yelling at you." He whispered, sitting down on the bed. I sat next to him.

"I am sorry for yelling too." I said.

"Think about one thing, if we got married, you would have to go by Y/N Watts." he led down on the bed and I did too, his hand met mine and his fingers thread through mine perfectly, like they were meant to be together. Y/N Watts, I like the sound of that.

I nodded. "Yeah, it would be nice to have that name."

"And I would be able to say if a girl walked up to me at the bar, 'Sorry, my Wife is expecting me home any second." Benny said, rolling to his side and takin my face in his hand.

"I would call you my Husband, "Oh sorry, my husband was just going to the bathroom, he will be back in a couple of minutes." I giggled and he smiled.

"I love you Y/N, so much, I ache from how much I love you." Benny took my left hand and ran his finger up and down my ring finger.

"So I give you this promise ring." He went into his bed side drawer and pulled out a little silver ring, a thin band that you would expect a jewel on, but bared no jewel. He slipped it onto the finger, it fit perfectly.

"To represent my Promise to you, I promise one day Y/N, to marry you, so spend my life with you, to have children with you and one day, die with you."

I smiled through my tears and asked, "How long have you had this?"

"A few weeks, I didn't know when to give it to you."

I smiled through my teeth, something I didn't do often. I got up and pulled him up and said, "Do you want to tell me about Ella?"

"Why?"

"I don't know, would it help you feel better."

"I don't think so, I think it would make me feel weird."

"Are they breaking up?"

"I don't know, I am scared that they will, they both deserve each other. Ella was too good for me at that time, now I don't know."

"Yeah, I don't know either."

"What do you mean?"

"I don't know who she is and what you were like so I have nothing to compare it to really"

"Yeah, I guess" Benny said, smiling at me

The phone ran outside the bedroom and Benny ran to get it. I sat on the bed and waited. I heard Benny say yes and no a few times.

He entered the room with a large smile on his face.

"Hey, are you okay Benny?"

"Yeah, uhm, I don't know, I need to consolidate with you first."

"Okay, ask away."

"I have been offered to go to Russia and play chess against the most prestigious players of all time. And that means in a month I will be going away, for some time. Are you okay with this?"

A/N- Helloooooooo!! I like the cliffhanger with this chapter mwahahahahah anyway love you all xx

14/01/2024

1146 words