Chapter 22

The white room came into focus as I sat up slowly, I felt an aching pain in the stomach. From the surgery. I don't remember anything from after I was told I was a match. I was led down on a bed and given medication to put me to sleep. My father wasn't in the room. No one was. I got up. The pain was there, but I could walk. I walked out of the room and went over to doctors. The pain was getting slightly worse. They were speaking in low voices. I didn't pick up any words. They turned and saw me. More pain. "What are you doing up?" The surgeon asked.
"Well I woke up, and no one was in the room. So I wanted to know if the surgery went okay?" Pain rose through my stomach. But I ignored it.
"Yes. Benny will live." I smiled and I winced in pain.
"Can I see him?" The doctors shook there heads. I was confused. And in pain.
"Okay..." The pain was going up my chest.
"You need to get rest." One of the doctors said.
"Why can't I see Benny?" I asked, the room shifted sideways. It then went back. I tried saying somehting, but the pain had rose to my neck. I couldn't stand up. My body was on fire. I held my head. The doctors guided me back to my room. I was saying stuff. but my mind wasn't. I couldn't see. Pain was everywhere. I was lead down and given medicine. I was screaming in my mind, but the noises weren't coming out of my head. The doctors looked over at me and then walked out of the room.

"Y/N......"
"Y-....."
"-N........"
"Y/N..."

I opend my eyes and saw Beth, leaning over my bed and saying my name over and over again. "See?" She said, glaring at the doctors, "She didn't need shaking. Jeez don't you think that she has been through enough already!?" The doctors bowed their heads and she turned to me and said,
"So! What's the hot gossip then? Any cute doctors?"
"Beth!" Tim yelled
"What!? I know shes in love with benny but you gotta admit, some of them are hot!"
"Beth!" Tim yelled again laughing
"Oh yeah! I'm engaged!" Beth burst out into giggles and said, "Sorry Tim, you are the only person with my heart."
"Eh it's okay, some of the nurses take my fancy I must sa-" Beth turned and whacked him on the head with a newspaper
"I'm only joking my love!" He said, putting his hands up and laughing. A grin tugged at my lips and I realised how much they were in love. That must of been like me and Benny. I can't wait to see him.
"Beth?" I asked
"Yes?" She asked, turning her attention on me.
"When can I see Benny?"
"I don't know, apparenlty he put the request that he wnts to see you first before he went in for the surgery, and he wants to see the person who donated the organ."
"They didn't tell him it was me?"
"I don't think they had time." She whisperd

"Yeah, that makes sense." I said and then decided to get up and move around a little, shivering a little and then walking around the room a few times and smiling at Beth. The doctor walked in and said, "Y/N, Benny is awake, and he put a request in for the person who gave him the organ and you." I got up and said,
"Can I get changed first, cause I don't want to be in this." The doctor nodded and said,
"Your wounds have cleared up, you only need to do a weekly check up for a month now, the pain you experienced was because you woke up too early."

The doctor left the room and Beth said, "I got you some new clothes, I thought that you would like them." I picked them up. It was almost the same clothes I had before but a few more colours and combinations. One of them were jeans that are the same width all the way down and they sit on my converse, and a white top and a black knitted cardigan. I put it on in the bathroom. I put my hair up and shook myself. Lets go. I stood up and exited the room, walking over to the doctor and he gave me a nod and we walked over to a room. "Before we go in, I want you to realise that some things have happend in surgery so..." he trailed off and said, "It will make sense when you see him."

I walked in. Benny was reading a chess book. I walked over to him and sat down. I wanted to be cautious, I didn't want to hurt him. "Benny?" I got his attention, "How are you feeling?"
"Alright?" He carried on reading his book.
"Benny, It was me who gave you the organ..." He looked up and said,
"Thank you. It was very kind of you, you didn't have to." I smiled and fiddled with my hands.
"Well I wanted to," I said, getting up and moving closer to him, he looked up at me. My heart picked up. His eyes was still the same, his hair was still messy and he had creases around his face. I wanted to throw my arms around him but I didn't want to hurt him. He might still have sits that could re open. "I wanted you to be here with me." I smiled
"What do you mean?" he said frowning
"Benny..." I said, it didn't make sense, why was he acting like I was a stranger. "Benny I love you, we are-"
"Are you obbsessed with me? I get it, I'm a good chess player that is attractive, but jesus, did you give me an organ because you are obbsessed with me. I don't know who you are." I choked on my tears. It was not his fault. He didn't remember me.
"You don't remember me?" I choked

"No, I don't know who you are, thank you for giving me an organ, but please go away. I need to get out of here so I can train."
"Benny..." I couldn't speak
"Who are you?" He said, giving me a quizzical look.
"I'm your girlfirend." I said, "Do you remember the fire? My ex fiancee? Do you remeber Townes? My mother? Do you remember me?" I cried. He flinched and looked at me. "I don't remember having a girlfriend. I don't remember anything like that."
"What do you remember?" I said, kneeling down and taking his hand, "Benny you can talk to me."
"I'm a chess champion, good friends with Beth Harmon. I fell off a building or something and I got badly hurt and then..." He gestured to his bed. I nodded, "Okay." I said, I felt like my whole body was crushing me.
"I was in a relationship with you?" He turned to me and I nodded, blinking back tears. Benny was normally the strong one. This is my turn to be the strong one.
"Yes Benny, we were in love. Well I hope we were."
"You were in a relationship with me?" I nodded
"Yes Benny, I love you."
"Why me?"

I stopped and remeberd, I asked Benny why he wanted to date me. But all of this time he didn't know why I wanted him. "Benny you are everything to me, I don't have a great family, you were my family. We had a year apart and we both went over the edge. You are one of the only people that made me feel loved."
"Yes, I'm sorry I still don't remeber you."
"I know." I said, smiling. I had to give him hope.
"How do I know you aren't lying?"
"I don't know."
"Kiss me. Then maybe I will remember you." He said
"No." I said, "Not when you don't remember me. I want you to take time to rest. I am going to be here."
"Why aren't you mad."
"This isn't your fault."
"You are very pretty." he said
"Thank you, you are very handsome." I ruffled his hair. He blushed. I know how he really feels about me. He doesn't remember but he still loves me.

I walked out of the room and Beth was there. I burst into tears. She hugged me and said "What is it?"
"Benny doesn't know who I am."
"No..." she said
"Yeah, he doesn't remember anything about me."
"I wonder why?"
"When the anesthisia kicked in, he thought you were dead so he forced him to forget you so he could live his life. Well we don't know for sure. But his body decided to forget you for a certain amount of time while he went in the surgery, once the medicine is taken off of him, he will start to remember you, because the brain won't be used to it so he'll use it to cope. If that makes sense" one of the doctors said
"How long will that take?" Beth asked
"A week probably, but we don't know for sure if he will rmember you at all."

Silence filled the room. He could not know the memories we shared, or even want to be with me at all. "I'm scared." I whisperd to Beth
"Me too."

A/N= Hello! Sorry this is late, I've been super busy! Hoping to get another one out this week. Love you all xx  Also, I'm going to be writing a new book on wattpad soon when I finish this one soooo yeah.
28.08,2023
1616 words