Year 1:Y/N's POV

song: A place in this world-Taylor Swift

YEAR 1: THE SORTING

"Better be GRYFFINDOR", I watched as the table full of red uniforms burst into applause. My brother Harry smiled at me and ran off to his table to sit next to a redhead and a brown hair girl with buck teeth.

Her name was Hermoine, we sat together during the train and boat ride here. Her nose was stuck in a book called, "Hogwarts: A History". She started to tell me more about what to expect as we arrived. The enchanted ceiling and so on.

I was immensely enjoying the conversation until we were interrupted by a shy boy called Neville. He lost his toad. I helped him search along the train to help keep him calm, while Hermoine went in another direction to cover more area. 

"What house do you want to be in?", the boy looked frightened to ask the question, but I could tell he was kind.

"I think Hufflepuff. Hermoine says the kind and hard-working go there. I think that's me." I shrugged my shoulders and asked the same question to him.

"I think I  will be there too. Not much drama and they usually stay on the sidelines. I belong there.", he smiled weakly.

"Hey, don't say that. Well, in any case, whatever house you are in isn't necessarily a reflection of you alone."

As we continued searching, the compartments became more filled with green caps. I tapped Neville's soldier, "Slytherin, right?"

He nodded, "They are scary, I mean most of them sit here. Most of them end up as Death Eaters."

I got goosebumps, even though I was not sure what death eaters were, "What are Death Eaters?"

Neville stared blankly at me. He looked as if he had seen a ghost. He seemed to have drifted away, "Nevermind, it's not important."

I did not want to push, so I kept quiet. Our search was becoming more fruitless. We entered more compartments, more dirty looks, and the cycle continued.

I couldn't help but wonder if this was the right way to make myself known at this school. But regardless, I had to help him. I could only hope Hermoine was more successful.

As we reached a final compartment, I saw a boy with dark curls and beautiful brown eyes, with a scar on his nose staring out the window. He was being spoken to by a small boy with white-blonde hair. Finally one boy with brown-blonde hair. He was sitting closer to the door of the compartment. Two larger boys were squished next to the boy with the almost white hair, wolfing down a bunch of sweets. A girl with blackish hair was looking longingly at the talkative, small boy.

I knocked and opened the door, "Hi, I am Y/N Potter, we are looking for a toad, his name is "Trevor" ". I smiled and waited for a response.

All eyes turned to the dark-haired boy with a scar. He glanced in my direction, but that was all.

The girl finally answered, "Hi, Im Pansy Parkinson"

"I like your name. We were just speaking of the houses here, which do you want to be in?" I thought it would be a good icebreaker considering we are first years.

The boy with almost white hair let out a chuckle, I turned to him, "And your name?", he seemed annoying. 

"Malfoy, Draco Malfoy. Why don't you join us Y/N?" He stuck out his hand for me to shake, to which I agreed.

I turned to Neville, "Only if he can join." Draco glared at him and then nodded.

"But not for long, I have a friend in another compartment."