Year 5: Mattheos pov (part 7)

Song: Happiest Girl- Stephen Dawes

"Y/N?" I softly move hair out of her face.
I still can't wrap my head around the fact that she's here. In my dorm... in my bed.

After her drunken exploits last night , it was best to bring her away from other people and allow her time to recover.

I must say, sleeping on the floor was uncomfortable but then again, I didn't really sleep, I was too worried about her.

It's already almost sunrise, and the sun was beaming. I realize I should probably wake her up considering we do have an OWL exam today. 

I'm sure she will be fine, she studied every day for this except yesterday.

She slaps away my hand and groans, "Five more minutes," she whispers.

I'm not sure if she remembers anything from yesterday,  then again  I can't help but think of the one thing she said yesterday to Theodore. She wanted it to be me...

Was that just her being under the influence or was it the truth? But I shouldn't bother her with that now.

"I'm sorry for what im about to do," I say before opening the curtains, allowing the sun to hit her face.

"I hate you!" she yells as she buries her head under a pillow.

"Come now Princess, we both know that's not true," I instantly regret my words, I worry that I was too abrupt for my own good.

"What do you mean?" she says slowly sitting up, her hand holding her head, where it hurts the most.

From her response I think it is more than obvious that she may not recall yesterdays events, "What exactly do you remember from yesterday?" I ask sitting on the edge of the bed.

She brings the blanket closer to her, trying to cover more of herself up, probably because she is wearing a shorter than usual dress, not that she needs to worry.

"Umm, that idiot Ginger and I broke up officially and after that I went to Pansy and Theodore and that was that, everything is a blur." she shrugs.

I watch her as she takes in a deep breath, letting it out. I watch the rise and fall of her shoulders as she does so. The soft outlines of her figure and the mess of hair that sits on her head. I also realize I have never seen her in such a disorganized state, and it makes me love... no... like her more for it. I wouldn't mind seeing the image in front of me as I rise each day of my life. 

I think beauty is found in things we don't usually notice, like the vulnerable state of waking up.

Suddenly she groans and covers her face with her hands, "Please tell me it was a dream," she says, now shaking her head. 

"Which part?" I say, trying to hide laughter now, even though this is an exceptionally serious situation.

"Did I?" she shakes her head, "No, I couldn't have," I watch as she mumbles to herself.

"Let me help you out darling," if she's already on the right track, I decide to give her a short summary of her evening.

"WAIT!" She immediately shouts before I get to continue, "MY OWL is today!" she immediately scrambles up and starts pacing, "I have to go!"

"Princess, when will you learn to trust me?" I lean back and point to a fresh uniform and a stack of revision notes on the bedside table.

"When?How? What?" she sits back down, looking from me to the uniform, and I shrug in response.

"Now while you get ready and shower, I've got a lovely potion for you to drink and a meal I have to fetch from the kitchens. We can revise together here. Is 15 minutes enough time for you?" I get up and find a sort of pleasure in her shock. I like that I can surprise her.

"I would hug you, but I have morning breath and smell like Firewhiskey,"she says, taking her clothes to the bathroom.

"I know," with my response a shampoo bottle comes flying out from her direction and quickly dodge it. 

A trail of laughter follows me down to the common room. God, she's fantastic.

By the time I'm back I realize I'm early, so I wait outside for her, and ensure the people in my dorm remain outside, where I placed them last night. Sometimes being the son of Voldemort helps, it can be intimidating and allow me to a pull a stunt like that.

After another ten minutes, I give a light knock and she opens the door, looking completely refreshed.

"I've already started going through some notes, I mean it's been slow but still, it's better than nothing. And thank you so much for your help." she says out of breath.

I say nothing and hand her a potion, which I fail to mention I brewed myself. In the other hand I'm balancing a rather greasy breakfast.

"What is this?" she says trying to smell the potion, "It doesn't smell like anything." she peers into the bottle.

"You don't like drinking fizzy medicines, right?" I smile at my brilliant invention. I remember one night we spoke about it and she told me how she hated muggle fizzy tablets and any sort of remedy she had to drink that tasted funny, so I created something that tastes like nothing.

"We should, um," she looks at me for a moment, and then seems to look mortified, "lets um, let's just revise." 

"Y/N? Is everything alright?" I start to panic, I hope I haven't made her uncomfortable, "Did I do something wrong?"

"No, it's nothing. Everything is fine." she sighs and finishes the potion.

"Here eat this," I give her the one thing guaranteed to help, "Professor Lupin always said it helped."

Once again she seems shocked and looks at me for a second longer than usual.

I'm standing there quite strangely, rooted in place. And for the first time find myself unable to look at someone in the eyes.

I fear what might happen if I do, I might end up talking about last night and there's so much more to do than bring up her embarrassing stories.

In a moment of weakness, I start smiling. I feel my face become a smile as I watch her. The movements she makes, her mannerisms, I want to study them, so I never forget. I want to protect every moment with her, to lock it away in a place where no one can hurt it.

I watch as she goes to sit down on my bed and recites notes softly to herself, finally she looks up to me and gestures for me to sit down. Upon my hesitation she replies,

"Well what are you waiting for?"