Year 5: Y/Ns pov (part 6)

Song: Black Out Days- Phantogram

My relationship is over, or is it? I don't know I haven't spoken to Fred since the incident.

I cried for a while but then upon reinspecting the situation I found myself at a sort of peace.

I didn't want to cry. I felt fine. Of course, the betrayal was the worst part, but the fact I'm not with or maybe am still with Fred?

I think I should just put an official end to it.

What bothers me most is that Mattheo didn't stay. I watched him walk away and that was the most heart wrenching thing of that day.

I never knew watching him take those few short steps, so effortlessly would hurt me, but it did. I wanted to tell him to stay.

But I could never say that, he'd find me ridiculous, he doesn't even think of me as a friend. He said so before the holidays.

But then again, Christmas and Fred intercepting the gifts.

"Miss Potter, what is the answer?" I hear our Care of Magical Creatures Professor snap.

I blink for a moment before staring at the board, I try and stall for time, "Well Professor Grubly-Plank that is a brilliant question that requires a brilliant answer" I try and focus on the topic of work, "if I am not mistaken I would say that the..." I look over to Harry who is trying not to laugh, which causes me to almost laugh.

Instead I say the first thing that pops into my head, "Riddle?"

"Excellent"

I am shocked for a second before she continues,"The sphinx is known to ask a traveller a riddle before allowing them to enter."

By the end of class I see Mattheo, who is rushing off quickly, probably to our D.A meet which is today.

I quickly try to catch up to him, "Hey, do you want to go over some of the spells for today?"

He looks disheveled today, his hair is more messy and he looks distracted.

"Are you sure you're up for it Y/N?" He stops walking and looks at me, I can feel him studying my face, and I also feel when I take a slight step forward, before retreating once again.

"Of course," I smile and quickly looks away once he starts to undo his tie.

Once we reach the room of requirement we are the only ones there and it's nice to enjoy the quiet.

"When last have we been in here alone?" I laugh

He gives me a sharp look and I remember that night.

I sit down in the couch and grab a pillow to hold, "Okay then, you know what I'm sick of your attitude!" I decide to address the awkwardness between us.

"Y/N, listen-" I interrupt him, and get up from my seat to the bookshelf he is pretending to look at.

"No, you tell me you don't want to be my friend, you don't address that apparently you gifted me something and you stood up for Fred yesterday?"

He turns around to face me and I am enraptured once again by the sight of him.

"You know what Y/N, I did that because I thought it would help YOUR relationship," he is trying not to shout at me, which I realise if it wasn't me, he probably would be.

"So you want me to be with Fred?" I manage to ask before I can stop myself

He sighs and turns around again.

I take this as my sign to leave, "Wait." His voice is in a near whisper.

He takes my hand and pulls me closer. I try not to say anything, hoping that if I look calm, maybe I can convince him and myself that I am.