Five // Stars

“I didn’t know apartment complexes gave tenants roof access.”

You chuckled a little, leaving the metal box that had taken you up to the top floor. You turned towards the right and walked towards a door labeled ‘roof access’.

“They don’t, I've just done a lot of favors for the landlords.” you chuckled, placing your hand on the doorknob to the outside world.

“Has its perks considering this is one of my favorite spots.”

You opened the door and Leo walked out, looking at the apartment's roof washed out in the colors of the setting sun. His eyes grew wide and his smile grew from ear to ear. He looked around in awe.

“It’s gorgeous! Your universe is gorgeous!”

You rub the back of your neck, smiling at the turtle who stood shouting about how pretty your world is. Finally he sees the sun actually setting over the city before you, and he goes entirely silent. Taking a few strides he sits on the edge of the roof, staring out at the warm colors falling over everything you can see.

You walked over, sitting next to him. Watching as his smile was replaced by a humbled look. The silence that fell over you was comfortable, and you just looked out at the sunset too.

“This is my second favorite time of day.”

Leo looked at you, a curious look on his face.

“What’s the first?”

“Midnight, the world's asleep, but it feels alive. The moon comes out and brings along the stars… they control things crucial to human survival, and they do it all in the darkness of night when we can’t see it.”

You looked at the Slider, seeing the warm colors of sunset wash over him too. For a second you could almost imagine him fitting in here. You could imagine having just met him on the street. You could let yourself live out those fantasies you had stuck in your brain. But just for a second.

“Y’know?”

He nodded, looking out at the sunset.

“Yeah, I know someone who does a lot of work in the shadows,” He looks at you, your face washed in the sunset, a small content smile on your lips. “It’s beautiful.”

You sigh, you can feel him looking at you.

“Leo, has there ever been a chance you’ve wanted to take like nothing else in the world, but you know that if you get what you want, it’s still not gonna end well?”

He nods, eyes fixing themselves on the setting sun yet again.

“Yeah.”

“What do you do in those situations?”

He kicks his feet, thinking about how to respond.

“You give so much to everyone around you Y/n.” He taps your shoe with his. Smiling a little when you look at him. “Maybe it’s time you did something for yourself, no matter the consequences.”

As night falls, you check the time on your phone. Sighing. It’s nearly eight, you have to clock in at work in thirty minutes, and the drive was around that long to get there. You get up, looking down at Leo in the light of the fluorescent lights of the city, washed in bright neons and deep shadows.

“Hey Leon?” He looks at you and you toss him the keys to the roof. “I will not be happy if it’s three am and I have to find you instead of cuddle you.”

Leo nodded, saluting to you in goodbye.

“No problem captain.”

You walked through the door that led back to inside the building. Leo couldn’t help but watch you till the door closed behind you. Leaving him alone on the concrete roof.

He really liked you. He liked that you were kind and compassionate. He liked that you were a little wild and crazy. He liked that you could be deep and serious and funny and comedic. He liked that you had small nervous habits that even you didn’t notice. He liked how you looked, the curve of your body, the shape of your eyes, the way your ears flushed first before the rest of your face.

Leo couldn’t keep doing this. To you or to himself. He wanted to know you better than you knew him, and because of their show, you knew him better than he knew himself.

He wanted to feel the butterflies in his stomach from your laugh everyday, hear his breath hitch when you smiled at his jokes, hold you close to him when you needed someone to lean on. You were the only universe he needed.

He put his head in his hands, trying not to cry when the next realization hit him too close to home, but the floodworks opened anyway, and he felt hopeless. You are the only universe he needed.

But you weren’t the only universe that needed him