Eighteen // Fireflies

One Year

A knock at the bedroom door pulls you to your senses. You'd been sitting on the floor, unmoving for five minutes, just trying to calm your heart rate. The boys had told you they're planning on leaving two days ago, and the added time had just given you time to amp up your anxiety, and for everything you were scared of to come crawling back to you.

"You ready to go?" Leo asks quietly, unmoving as he leans against the door frame. Unknowingly you shake your head a little as you reply with a smile.

"Yeah, of course."

Leo raises a brow, moving to help you up from the floor. Eyeing the device shoved into the corner with various pieces of scrap surrounding it. Some rusty, some cleaned as though they were to be used.

"You know, we don't have to leave today. I'm okay with staying as long as you need."

You let out a shaky breath, bending down and grabbing your suitcase. Your small backpack feels heavy on your shoulders.

"Your world needs you more than I could use a bit more time to wrap my head around what's happening." You mumble, feeling a little dizzy as your mind keeps running at a mile a minute. You move your hand to place it on your forehead. Feeling as Leo takes it in his. Making you look up at him.

"I'll be by your side no matter what. I promise."

You give him a weary smile as he begins to move away from your room. Taking you with him. You tried to savor the last few moments in this apartment, tried to memorize the walls, and the carpeting, your TV and your kitchen island. You pictured the emptiness of your fridge, and the pots and pans stuffed in your cabinets.

It wasn't home, but it was your own. You would miss that.

"I was... thinking." Leo starts as you open your apartment door for the last time. Attempting to remember the feeling of the old brass knob. The difference in the texture due to all of the past tenants, and you. You were on that list too.

"If you want to stay with us of course, I entirely understand if you want your own place. But uh, while you're settling in, would you want to sleep in my room...?"

You look up at him as the door clicks almost silently behind the two of you, there's a sheepish smile on his face, and he refuses to make eye contact with anything but the browning carpet beneath your feet. You squeeze his hand and give him a tired yet genuine smile.

"I would love that."

He smiles as you lead the way to Mx. Hawkhams apartment, wrapping on the door for a moment. After a few seconds of no response, you try again. Not so much as a shuffling is heard from within the apartment. Your body lets out an involuntary shudder, and you anxiously grab your phone. Unknowingly beginning to tighten your grip on Leo's hand.

As you clicked through the device, finally finding Gladius' contact. Your mind began to chant the same phrase as though it were summoning demons from the depths of hell itself. Please don't be mad. Please don't be mad.

When they picked up the phone after a couple rings, you let out a sigh of relief, feeling as Leo tensed and untensed his hand a little. Giving you such a concerned look. You gave him a smile, mouthing him a quick and apologetic sorry.