Seventeen // Pastel Minds

Eleven months, zero days

“Oh come on, Leo.” You whine, rolling your eyes with the controller in your hand. “It’s just a game.”

“Yeah, and I’m jealous of a character in said game.” He speaks, crossing his arms over his chest. “Harvey is very attractive.”

“He’s a couple pixels on a screen, Leon.”

“He’s a couple of cute pixels on a screen.”

You smile and bump him with your shoulder. Smiling as he looks at you. You give him a quick peck on the lips and feel as his arms fall a little from his plastron

“Yeah, well technically you are a couple of cute pixels on a screen.”

He nods, his hand clutching the controller, arms not releasing from the closed-off position on his chest.

“See? It hasn’t stopped you before.”

You roll your eyes again. Continuing to roam around on the screen, no particular place in mind. Planning on taking advantage of the moment and foraging what little you could from the woods of small Pelican Town.

“You’re cuter.”

“You don’t mean that.”

“I do.”

“I will never understand your taste in romantic partners.”

You smile as you approach his character on the screen, offering him a tulip you had bought just seconds ago from the traveling merchant in the woods beside your farm. The object clutched above your small head in hope.

“Yeah, well, I don’t really understand it either.”

You watch as he clicks a button on the controller with his thumb and accepts the bright pink flower.

“I do know, however, That you are cheesy, corny, and sweet.”

You give him a lopsided grin from where you sit on the floor. A twinkle in your eye as you finish your sentence. Feeling as your legs intake the imprint of the carpet below your appendage.

“And nobody has ever been all of those things at once.”

He lets his arms fall as a smile makes its way onto his face, it was getting dark in the game, and you both had to head to bed before your characters passed out. You enter the little cabin, and grin at the messy layout of furniture. You’d both argued about where to put what. Eventually just giving up and throwing it around wherever you could, it was a chaotic terrible looking mess. But it was yours.

As the day comes to a close and you both collect your money, Leo looks at you, watching as the dark tones of the game wash over you. You smirk a little in the fluorescent light of the screen.

“I can feel you staring, Leo.”

“Am I not allowed to stare at my partner?”

“Not unless you plan on kissing them, no.”

He can hear the sarcasm dripping off your voice, and decides to do as he normally does. Make a dramatic scene.

“Okay that’s it I’m going back to my desk-job at Joja-Mart in the city-”

He laughs a little as you fumble across the carpeted expanse to grab his controller. He jumps up to keep it away from you as his character sprints towards the Joja-Mart in the game. Running to put the kitchen island between you and him.

“No! I didn’t mean it! I can’t run a whole farm by myself!”

“Looks like you’ll have too!”

You chase him around your apartment for a bit. Trying to grab the controller out of his hands. His character was only a few paces away from the Joja-Mart. You sigh, crossing your arms over your chest, a couch stood in between you and your boyfriend now. There was no way you were getting that controller unless you somehow managed to slide across the couch and snatch it from his hands…

“Okay fine. I give up. Go back to your city job, city boy.”

“That’s a terrible-”

You jump onto the couch and snatch the controller from his hand. He stares at you a little in awe as you let out a laugh and direct his character away from the supermarket. You grin as the few pixels signifying where he was moved from the blue building back towards your farm.

“You thought I was gonna let you leave?”

You lean in close to his face and give him a smile.

“Infinite dimensions couldn’t keep me from you.”

“Really?”

“There’s only one thing that could.”

He raises an invisible eyebrow, and you give him a smile. Impossibly close to him.

“What’s that, amor?”

“You.”

He looks at you bewildered and you hop off the couch, smiling as you sit down on the ground where you previously were, directing his character towards the small cottage where he lived.

“What do you mean ‘Me’?”

“I mean if I thought something wasn’t in your best interest.”

“Why do you get to decide that?”

You give him a softer smile as you grab your controller, beginning to move your character across the screen. Walking away from Leo’s house, exiting to go towards the town center.

“Because, sometimes, in the heat of the moment. You can’t think straight.”

“Neither of us can think straight.”

You grin and give him a shrug.

“True.”

You both let out a few chuckles and he approaches the pixelated tavern your inside, a small smile growing when he sees your tiny character. You grin as he approaches you, handing you a small pendant in the game. It’s an item called the mermaid pendant. You get it from an old mariner whenever it rains on the beach. You have to have a select amount of hearts with a bachelor or bachelorette and generally you give it to them when you decide you want to marry them.

You stare at the item held in Leo's character's hands. Your brain working too fast for you to comprehend most of what it was thinking. Though what little you could make out was ‘yes’. So you did what you could. Hitting the A button.

You smile as he grins at you, and continue on with playing the game.

Sometimes, in the heat of the moment. You can’t think straight.