Ten // Atlas

Four months, two weeks, eight days

Leo, Donnie, and Mikey had gone out to grab some more scrap for the back up plan if their powers didn't work soon. Somehow convincing Raph to stay at home. You could tell he was on edge when you entered the apartment from sending the others off, and sat down next to him on the floor.

"You okay?"

He nods, eyes fixed on the screen as his character moves along through the small pixelated town. His shoulders hunched over, his jaw fixed into a permanent unconvincing smile.

"Raphael," You inquire like a parent talking to their child, placing a hand on his shoulder. "Are you okay?"

He watches as a cutscene hits the screen, one where your character helps another out of a rough patch, and he can't look at you. He doesn't move, gaze trained on the TV like it was the only thing holding him together.

"There stood Atlas, the weight of the world on his shoulders."

You softly speak, he doesn't look at you. But responds, his voice cracking.

"What?" he whispers.

"Atlas, is a Greek myth. He's condemned to hold up the sky, forever the point between the earth and heavens that keeps chaos from descending to the earth."

You look at him, your hand still on his shoulder. Trying to comfort him as you see tears prick at his eyes.

"You're Atlas in the sense that you keep your brothers away from the chaos and consequences of the world around them. You are the point between your world and the world around you, keeping all of it from crashing down."

You hear as the cutscene finishes and Raph simply stares at the screen, not moving to wipe his tears as he refuses to shift in any way. He feels paralyzed. You will him to look at you. To move. Do something other than sit there and hurt alone, in silence.

"The world isn't meant to be supported by one person, Raphael. Don't put that on yourself."

"But what if," he looks at his hand, clutching the small controller. "What if they get in trouble? What if they make a mistake? What if-"

You squeeze his shoulder gently, and he looks up at you.

"Then you'll be there to help them through the mess. You don't have to play protector, and you don't have to play soldier. They're looking at you to be their brother, not their mentor, and not their father."

You give him a soft, comforting smile.

"They want you to be happy too, Raphael. You're their big brother."

You watch as he puts his head in his hands, your rub over the spikes of his shell, hearing the small sobs that leave him. All you can do is sit there with him, reminding him every few minutes that he was okay. That it was okay.

You wondered if anyone had ever sat him down and told him he didn't have to be the shield between his family and insanity. The space between his brothers and the impending chaos. He deserved better than to have to give up happiness for others.

He wraps you in a hug eventually and tries to catch his breath through the tears. You hold him as close as you can. Patting his head, still telling him it's okay. When his tears dry up and he pulls away for a moment. You look at him and smile.

"Do you want some water?"

He nods, so you get up and grab him a glass. Presenting him with it and sitting down next to him. He chugs it and then looks at you, evidently wanting to say something as he tries to clear up the water on his face.

"Whatever you wanna say Raph, I'm here to listen."

He pauses, swallowing a little before looking at you, determination in his eyes.

"Can I... borrow your phone?"

You raise a brow but unlock the device and hand it to him. You watch as he starts typing out something, takes a breath, then hits a button. Handing you the small device without another glance. Anxiety ridden again.

"Why did you..." You trail off, looking down at the phone, a smile on your face at the message he sent. It was a text, asking the one and only Tanya out on a date. Three dots appear under his text and you look at Raph.

"You didn't want to ask her because you wanted to be here if something bad happened to your brothers."

He nods, sniffling.

"Yeah, but now my bros got the two of us, and each other." He shrugs, a sarcastic smile on his tear riddled features. "Guess I gotta go do something now that they can take care of themselves."

You shove him a little and look down at your phone, the sound of a text notification ringing throughout the apartment. You look down and practically hop up. Squealing as you walk fervently around the room.

Raph stares at you in confusion. Begging you to tell him what it was. You can't hide your smile as you show him the small screen.

"She said yes!"

Raph looks up at you, overjoyed and no longer anxious. He gets up and smiles, hugging you and spinning you around a little in joy, when he lets you go, you see the look of concern on his face. You pause your joyous celebration to inquire.

"What's wrong?"

"How am I gonna go on a date? I've never been on one before! I don't know where she wants to go or really what she likes to do other than read-"

You put a hand up, waiting for him to be quiet.

"Raph, you big dolt. You forget I've read thousands of romance novels and a million different fanfictions. I've got your back."

He lets his fear fall into an easy smile on his face as you lead him to your bedroom, going to help him pick out an outfit.

"Thanks Y/n."

You smile at the snapping turtle, unable to help yourself. It made you happy to see him doing something for himself, you would have taken him to build-a-bear to make himself something but instead he took your approach. Ask somebody out on a date because you finally felt like you had the capability to.

"No problem Raph, now get your ass over here, I can't be a wing-man without someone to wing!"