Chapter 8 Fit For a King

THE NEXT DAY

THE NEXT DAY

"You look beautiful my son." Delaela said as she came into his room to see him dressed into his father's Royal attire when he became king." I shall have the maids start preparing your clothing, fit for a king. So that you don't have to wear all of your father's clothes." Delaela said and Rhaenarr chuckled.

"Think of it as a way that he will be with me when I become king." He said and she frowned at him." I wasn't there when my father took his last breath. Seven hells ,I wasn't even at his funeral. When Maera found me and told me what happened. I hesitated coming back, but then I thought about what would father do. He would want me to look after the people." He told his mother, who smiled at him.

"And that is why you are the better option." She said as the maids were done." We better get you that crown." Delaela said before walking with him to the throne room. Delaela walked in as doors were open for them.

"Queen Delaela Targaryen, first of her name, Queen of the Decidel Empire, and the First Men, Lady of the Siyedel Kingdom, the dragon mother and Her son, Prince Rhaenarr Tarion, First of his name, heir to Decidel Empire." The Septon said.

"I never heard of a shorter title in my life." Rhaenarr told his mother who tried not to chuckle." Once you leave this room you will be king and you'll make your own titles." She said as they walked to the front.

Rhaenarr saw Alicent who was standing with Maera and the family. She smiled at him as he smiled back before looking at the throne.

"We all gather here today to mourn the late King. He was kind, caring and he was very smart. He has led us through years of peace and power. And today we are here to celebrate as Rhaenarr is to be his successor." The Septon said as he turned to Rhaenarr.

They placed the crown on his head as Rhaenarr turned to look at the people.

Rhaenarr Taerion, first of his name, King of the Decidel Empire, and the First Men, Lord of the Siyedel Kingdom and protector of the realm.

One by one, lords from all over the realm pledge their loyalty to him. Delaela smiled but frowned as the doors were opened as Vanyx and Selena came in.

"Isn't this a pleasant surprise." Vanyx said as everyone looked at them." Vanyx, what are you doing here?" She asked her son, knowing damn well why he was here." I'm here for my throne and my crown which is rightfully mine, brother." Vanyx said as he stood in front of Rhaenarr.

Rhaenarr looked at the two for the first time of being gone. Alicent knew those were the two who betrayed Rhaenarr years ago. Selena held her breath as she looked at her ex lover.

He was not the little boy she grew to love, he had matured into a man. Her thoughts were interrupted when the queen spoke to her son.

"Your father chose him as his successor." Delaela told him and Vanyx looked at his mother." Is that so, and what has he done to earn this title as his new successor?" Vanyx asked her and she smirked at him.

"By being the perfect son of the king." She said, smirking and Vanyx growled at her. It was no secret to everyone that the king and queen favored their second son who actually enjoyed politics and the people.

While he on the other hand, would rather watch his people die and knock up whores with his bastards. His mother despised him for his actions and turned her attention to her second son and made him into the image she wanted him into.

"Doesn't matter if he is the perfect image for a king, I am the firstborn son or should I remind you of that?" Vanyx asked and Rhaenarr drew his sword and pointed at his brother.

"Mind your tongue when speaking to our mother. I am your king and I can have you beheaded for that." Rhaenarr said and smirked, he loved the satisfaction of making his brother angry. He deserved it for all the pain he had cost him over these years.

"You have no right to be speaking, after all you are the one who abandoned us in the first place. The Crown is mine. I'm the one who stayed, I'm the one who put up with our family's bullshit, not you." Vanyx said angrily and everyone stayed quiet.

"Guards, see to it that my son and his wife gets escorted out of the palace immediately." Delaela said as the guards went up to Vanyx, who started pushing them." No, I am your King, you should be answering to me, not this whore!" Vanyx yelled as everyone in the room gasped.

"You purposely shamed our family for years, it is no wonder why father chose me  instead of you." Rhaenarr said as Vanyx and Selena were dragged out of the room. Alicent looked at Rhaenarr who had watched his brother leave the room.

She never knew that his brother was crazy.

After the little incident they celebrated the new king as they had a party in the garden. Rhaenarr was constantly surrounded by people who wished him the best and who had missed him over the years.

Rhaenarr oh so desperately wanted to get away from the crowd but he knew it was going to be impossible. Rhaenarr drunk his wine as three women came in front of him. He could see that one of them was the mother and both of them were the daughters.

"Your grace." The mother said before making her daughter's bow before the king ." Hello and your names are?" He asked as Delaela stood beside him and she looked at the women.

"The name is Halsey Worthame and these are my daughters, Opeline and Lauren." She said and Delaela smiled as Rhaenarr nodded." Pleasure to meet you my ladies. How are you enjoying the feast?" Rhaenarr asked them and they smiled.

"The feast is wonderful, fit for a King." Lady Halsey said as Rhaenarr smirked." What is it that I can do for you?" He asked them." Well, I'm hoping you would spend time with my daughters, to get to know them personally?" She asked and Rhaenarr raised an eyebrow.

"And why is that?" He asked and Halsey looked nervous." Just hoping you could be friends, my king." She said and Rhaenarr's eyes widened. She was trying to get her daughters to marry him.

"I would think about it." Rhaenarr told her and she nodded before walking away from them." It was obvious she was trying to get me to spend time with her daughters, just to marry them." He said and Delaela smiled at that.

"It is the price of being a king, people wanting to marry off their daughters for power." Delaela said and Rhaenarr sighs in frustration." I just became king, I am not interested in looking for marriage yet." He told his mother who nodded to him.

"My queen, a guest would like to speak to you." A guard said and Delaela nodded." Don't get too bored without me." She told her son before walking away. Rhaenarr sat in her chair as Alicent came beside him.

"How are you, my king?" Alicent asked, she didn't want to address him by his name because the last time she did, his mom almost had a breakdown and told her that only his family could announce him by his name.

"Alicent you don't have to be formal with me, you are my friend." He told her as she looked at him." Your mother wouldn't like it." She said and he looked at her." Well I am your king and I order you to call me by my name." He told her and she smiled before nodding.

"So who were those women earlier?" She asked and he shrugged." Just people trying to sell me their daughters to marry." He said and she frowned at him." And what did you say?" She asked, she didn't know why she felt the need to ask him.

"I told them that I would think about it. But I'm actually not, I'm not ready to get married." He told her." But you are the king now, people will be expecting you to take a wife and produce heirs soon." She told him and he looked at her.

"I want to get settled into my role before producing heirs." He said and she nodded at that." Of course." Alicent said before spending time with him and learning more about the kingdom.