Chapter 21 Dinner Gone Wrong

133

133

With unwavering attention, Alicent and Rhaenrr beheld the sight of their sons engaging in rigorous training under the guidance of Ser Galen. Rhaenarr, was seated upon his chair, while Alicent just stood resolutely behind him, accompanied by her sworn protector, Godiva.

"They are getting better," Alicent told her husband. Together, they observed their second-born, Rhaerion, skillfully hitting his mark with a bow and arrow. Rhaenarr nodded approvingly, sharing in the joy of their children's progress. Gazing down at their offspring, their hearts swelled with contentment.

"Rhaenarr, for what I have been thinking about having a family dinner. The family hasn't really gotten together in years." Alicent said and Rhaenarr looked up at her." What do you mean?" He asked her.

"We haven't gathered as a family in quite some time, I must admit. Our meetings have been limited to moments of sorrow and misfortune. Hence, I propose extending an invitation to our entire kin, urging them to grace the castle with their presence," she expressed, while Rhaenarr pondered upon her words.

"Does this include Vanyx and Selena?" He asked, to which Alicent responded with a slow, affirmative nod. "I am cognizant of their unwavering determination to regain the throne. Maybe we can strive to establish an alliance with them, a bond that shall offer them ample benefits, thus deterring any attempts to seize the throne," she suggested, as Rhaenarr's eyes glanced downwards, observing the children as they took a momentary pause.

"Are you certain of this?" He questioned, his eyes lingering on her. Alicent nodded in response. "Very well, we shall proceed with sending out the invitations, and the banquet shall be held in three days," he announced. Alicent's face lit up with a smile as she nodded once more. "It will be a delightful gathering for our family," she expressed, and Rhaenarr assented.

"May the gods guide Vanyx and Selena towards reconciliation, embracing the new terms bestowed upon them. Or perchance, do you possess an alternative solution?" He asked of his wife, and Alicent gently shook her head. "Fear not, my love, for I shall devise a plan," she assured him. With a nod of understanding, they resumed their watch over their sons, before returning to the palace to attend to matters of state.

⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️

THREE DAYS LATER

"Why are we going to this stupid dinner again?" Jacaevar inquired, his frustration evident as he settled into a chair aboard the boat." The royal family was the entire family to sit down and have a normal family dinner." Selena, with a hint of disdain, explained to him, her discomfort palpable at the mere mention of the word 'royal'.

As his father descended the stairs from the docks, he expressed to his mother, "Their mere purpose is to showcase their wealth and the lavishness of their existence." Vanyx, with a touch of cynicism, informed them, "Without a doubt, your uncle endeavors to distract us from the pursuit of the throne by suggesting a peace treaty for our family." Placing the letter on the table, he concluded his statement.