Chapter 27 Allies and Battles

As preparations for the grand party to secure allies continued, Rhaenarr and Alicent found a moment of respite in the quiet of their chambers. The flickering candlelight cast soft shadows across the room as they sat together, deep in conversation.

"My love," Rhaenarr began, his voice gentle yet firm. "I believe it is time we discuss the future of our family, particularly our son Maelyx."

Alicent nodded, her expression thoughtful as she considered his words. "Indeed, Rhaenarr. Maelyx has grown into a fine young man, and it is time we began thinking about his future."

Rhaenarr took a deep breath, steeling himself for the conversation ahead. "I have spoken with Lord Robert Keswick, and he has expressed interest in forming an alliance through marriage."

Alicent's eyebrows lifted in surprise. "Lord Robert? But I thought he was wavering in his support of our family."

Rhaenarr nodded gravely. "Indeed, he has been swayed by Vanyx's rumors, but I believe a marriage alliance could help solidify his loyalty to us."

Alicent considered this for a moment before nodding in agreement. "Very well, Rhaenarr. But which of our children do you propose we offer in marriage?"

Rhaenarr hesitated for a moment before speaking. "I believe Maelyx would be the ideal choice. He is strong, honorable, and well-liked among the nobility. A marriage to Lord Robert's daughter would strengthen our ties with House Keswick and ensure their loyalty to our family."

Alicent nodded thoughtfully, seeing the wisdom in her husband's words. "And who is Lord Robert's daughter?"

"Her name is Freya," Rhaenarr replied, a hint of admiration in his voice. "She is said to be intelligent, kind-hearted, and skilled in the arts of diplomacy. I believe she would make an excellent match for Maelyx."

"If she truly is what she claims to be, then I shall consent to this agreement," she declared, her voice filled with determination. Rhaenarr's lips curled into a smile as he glanced at his beloved wife, giving a nod of approval.

With their minds made up, Rhaenarr and Alicent embarked on the task of organizing the betrothal, their hearts brimming with optimism for the prosperity of their lineage and realm.

On the day of the grand party, the castle bustled with activity as servants scurried to put the finishing touches on the decorations and prepare for the arrival of the guests. Rhaenarr and Alicent stood at the entrance, greeting each arrival with warm smiles and gracious words.

As the sun dipped below the horizon, signaling the start of the festivities, the gates swung open to admit Lord Robert Keswick and his daughter, Freya. They were escorted to the main hall, where Rhaenarr and Alicent awaited them with anticipation.

"Lord Robert, Lady Freya, welcome to our home," Rhaenarr greeted them, his voice filled with warmth.

"Thank you, Your Majesty," Lord Robert replied, bowing respectfully. "It is an honor to be invited to your party."

Alicent stepped forward, her eyes twinkling with excitement. "And you must be Lady Freya. It is a pleasure to finally meet you."

Freya smiled, her eyes sparkling with curiosity as she looked around the grand hall. "The pleasure is mine, Your Majesty."

As the evening wore on, Rhaenarr and Alicent led their guests to a private chamber to discuss the proposed marriage alliance. Lord Robert listened attentively as they outlined their plans, nodding thoughtfully as they spoke.