Chapter 25 Back Home

Elaena approached Princess Naela's chambers. She took a deep breath, steeling herself for the lie she was about to tell.

Entering the room, she found Naela sitting by the window, her white curls cascading down her back as she played with her dolls. Elaena's heart sank at the innocence of the young princess, but duty compelled her forward.

"Princess," Elaena began, her voice trembling slightly. "I have some somber news to share with you."

Naela looked up, her eyes wide with curiosity. "What is it, Elaena?"

With a heavy sigh, Elaena continued, "It pains me to say this, but my uncle has passed away. And I must attend his funeral."

Naela's eyes widened in shock, her doll slipping from her grasp." But... but why? How?" Elaena bit her lip, struggling to maintain her composure. "He... he fell ill suddenly, my dear. It was... unexpected."

She hoped that this would make the Princess believe her lie, if not, then she don't know what will.

"Go seek solace with your blood. I shall inform my mother of your leave," she commanded, as Elaena bowed in deference. "I am grateful, your grace. The prospect of reuniting with my family brings me comfort," she replied, concealing the true reason behind her words. In truth, she had no uncle; it was a fabrication to facilitate her visit to Selena.

Without a moment's delay, Elaena hastened her departure from the princess's chambers, eager to return to her own quarters and commence her packing. Oh, the joy that awaited her in seeing Selena and conveying the news was almost too much to bear.

Alynla's heart raced as she approached the towering gates of the castle. After years of separation, she was finally returning to her family, to the royal court she hoped to one day call home. Each step closer to the gates felt like a journey through time, as memories both cherished and painful flooded her mind.

As the gates swung open, Alynla's eyes swept over the familiar faces of her kin. There was her aunt Queen Alicent, radiant yet burdened with the weight of the crown. Beside her stood King Rhaenarr, a stoic figure masking his inner turmoil. Alynla's gaze softened as she took in their regal presence, a reminder of the responsibilities that awaited her within these walls.

"Welcome, lady Alynla," Alicent greeted her with a warm smile, her voice tinged with relief and longing. Alynla's heart swelled with emotion as she stepped forward, her eyes brimming with tears. "Thank you, your majesty. It's been too long."

Rhaenarr nodded in acknowledgment, his expression grave yet welcoming. "Indeed it has, Alynla. We are pleased to have you back."

As they embraced, Alynla felt a sense of belonging wash over her, the years of absence melting away in their embrace. But amidst the joyous reunion, a pang of sadness tugged at her heart, a reminder of the loved ones she had lost along the way.

"I wish Mother could be here to see this," Alynla murmured, her voice laced with sorrow.

Alicent's eyes softened with sympathy as she placed a comforting hand on Alynla's shoulder. "She may not be with us in body, but herspirit lives on in you, Alynla. She would be proud of the woman you've become."

Alynla offered a grateful smile, her heart warmed by her aunt's words. "Thank you, your majesty. That means a great deal to me."

"Please call me Aunt, after all we are family." Alicent said and Alynla smiled before nodding.

With the formalities of their reunion complete, Alicent turned to Alynla with a glint of excitement in her eyes. "Come, my dear. Let us show you to your chambers. I'm sure you'll find them to your liking."