Chapter 23 Lady In Waiting

Elaena stood before her grandfather, Jullon, her heart pounding with a mixture of excitement and apprehension. She cleared her throat, gathering her courage to speak the words she had rehearsed in her mind countless times.

"Grandfather," she began, her voice steady but tinged with nervousness, "I have been offered a position as a lady-in-waiting at the castle."

Jullon's weathered face softened with pride as he regarded his granddaughter. "Elaena, that is wonderful news! You will serve with grace and honor, just as your mother wishes she did."

Beside Elaena, Selena nodded in agreement. "I will take good care of her, Jullon. You have my word."

Jullon's eyes sparkled with emotion as he reached out to clasp Elaena's hands in his own. "Go with my blessings, my dear. Make me proud, as I know you will."

Elaena flashed a smile at her grandfather, but inside she was determined to make her father pay for leaving her and her mother. She hated deceiving the one person who had always been there for her when her mother died.

"Come, Elaena," Selena beckoned, leading her towards her chamber to gather her belongings. As they entered the room, Selena gently shut the door behind them. "I despise deceiving my grandfather," Elaena confessed, meeting Selena's gaze.

"Your grandfather likely guarded the secret of your true father's identity. Even those you trust may have hidden truths from you. I am here to assist you in uncovering them, as your aunt," Selena declared, causing Elaena to lower her gaze in realization.

"Now we must make haste if thou wish to arrive punctually for the choosing to become a lady in waiting at the castle," Selena proclaimed, to which Elaena nodded in agreement ere gathering her garments and belongings into her satchels.

Naela reclined on a plush velvet chaise, her fingers idly tracing the delicate embroidery of her gown. The late afternoon sun filtered through the leaded glass windows, casting warm hues across the chamber. Lost in thought, her reverie was abruptly interrupted by a soft rap on the door.

"Enter," she called, her voice carrying a note of curiosity.

The door creaked open, and in stepped her trusted servant, a small parchment in hand. With a respectful bow, she extended the letter to Naela.

"A letter for you, Your Highness, from Lady Alynla," the servant announced, her expression a mix of deference and anticipation.

Naela's heart fluttered with excitement as she eagerly accepted the missive, her eyes scanning the elegant script penned by her dear cousin. Breaking the seal, she unfolded the parchment and began to read.

"My dearest cousin Naela,

I hope this letter finds you well, though I must admit that my own heart is heavy with news that has reached me. It has come to my attention that my father, Lord Ovid, is to be wed to Ireyne Ryswell, daughter of King Gregor Ryswell of Husavik, the Viking village that lies beyond our lands.

The news of this union has taken me by surprise, for I had not anticipated such an alliance between our families. Nevertheless, I pray that it will bring prosperity and harmony to both our realms. However, amidst the joyous tidings, I find myself seized by a fervent desire to be by your side once more.