Chapter 26 New Allies

As the days stretched into a week with no sign of Rhaerion, anxiety gripped the kingdom like a vice. Rhaenarr's absence cast a long shadow over the court, and his advisors struggled to maintain order in his stead. Meanwhile, Vanyx, ever the opportunist, used the situation to his advantage, spreading insidious rumors designed to undermine Rhaenarr's authority.

"He's weak," Vanyx whispered to anyone who would listen, his words dripping with malice. "A king who can't even protect his own son is no true ruler."

The rumors spread like wildfire, igniting fear and uncertainty among the populace. In the streets, murmurs turned into open criticism, and even loyal subjects began to question Rhaenarr's ability to lead. The air was thick with tension, and it seemed as though the kingdom teetered on the brink of chaos.

But amidst the turmoil, there were those who remained steadfast in their support of the king. Alynla and her cousins, united in their determination to uncover the truth, refused to let Vanyx's lies go unchallenged. They worked tirelessly, combing the city for clues and questioning anyone who might have information about Rhaerion's disappearance.

Their efforts yielded little in the way of concrete leads, but Alynla refused to lose hope. She knew that they were closer to the truth than they realized, and she was determined to see justice served, no matter the cost.

As the days wore on, tensions continued to mount, and the pressure on Rhaenarr to find his son grew ever more intense. He threw himself into the search with single-minded determination, dispatching search parties far and wide and offering a generous reward for any information leading to Rhaerion's safe return.

Alicent withdrew from the world, spending days in isolation, fervently praying to the Gods for the well-being and safe return of her son.

As the days turned into weeks, the mystery of Rhaerion's disappearance remained unsolved, and the kingdom remained on edge. They needed to find him, for Rhaerion's sake, and for the sake of their beloved king, they would not rest until the truth was revealed..

Vanyx and Selena rode swiftly through the rugged terrain towards Tirianae, their horses' hooves kicking up dust as they raced towards their destination. Their mission weighed heavily on their minds, but they were driven by a shared determination to seize power and reshape the kingdom in their image.

As they approached Tirianae, a sprawling fortress nestled amidst the mountains, Vanyx's mind raced with plans and strategies. He knew that winning over Lord Alred would be crucial to their success, and he was prepared to offer him whatever it took to secure his allegiance.

Arriving at the gates of Tirianae, Vanyx and Selena were greeted by a contingent of guards, their swords drawn in wary anticipation. But Vanyx waved them off with a dismissive gesture, his confidence unwavering as he approached the imposing figure of Lord Alred.

With a voice dripping in honeyed charm, Vanyx addressed Lord Alred, "My Lord Alred, it is a delight to finally cross paths with you." As Lord Alred turned his gaze towards him, Vanyx continued, "The pleasure is all mine, my prince," Lord Alred responded graciously, while Vanyx and Selena gracefully dismounted their horses and approached him.

"I come bearing an offer that I believe you will find... intriguing." Vanyx said as Lord Alred raised an eyebrow before letting them in his home." And what offering do you have for me?" He asked and Selena smiled." To sworn your Allegiance to my husband as the rightful ruler." She said and he looked at her before looking at Vanyx.

"If you sworn your Allegiance to me. I will offer you a seat on my council," Vanyx continued, his words carefully chosen to appeal to Lord Alred's desire for influence. "You will have control over my soldiers and armies, and together, we will usher in a new era of prosperity and strength for our kingdom."

Lord Alred's brow furrowed in thought, his eyes flickering with uncertainty. For a long moment, he wavered on the brink of indecision, torn between loyalty to his king and the allure of Vanyx's promises.

Lord Alred's voice echoed through the room as he questioned, "Is that all?" His eyes darted between Vanyx and Selena, searching for any hidden motives. Selena, undeterred, spoke up, "We propose a union between our families through the betrothal of your daughter to our son, Jacaevar."

The weight of the offer hit Lord Alred, causing his eyes to widen in realization. The power that would come with accepting their proposal was immense - not only would his family be bound to theirs, but he would also gain control over mighty armies. After much contemplation, he finally reached a decision.

"I will help you take the kingdom from King Rhaenarr and his family," he declared, his voice firm with determination. "But know this, Prince Vanyx: if you betray me, there will be consequences."

Vanyx smiled thinly, masking his inner triumph with a facade of graciousness. "Of course, my lord," he replied smoothly. "You have my word."

With their alliance forged, Vanyx and Lord Alred began to lay the groundwork for their coup, their plans shrouded in secrecy as they worked tirelessly to undermine King Rhaenarr's rule and seize control of the kingdom for themselves.

In the wake of the troubling events surrounding Rhaerion's disappearance, the court of King Rhaenarr buzzed with whispered conversations and uneasy speculation. Alicent and Rhaenarr, determined to restore stability to their kingdom, convened a meeting of their most trusted advisors to address the growing unrest.

Seated around a grand table in the opulent throne room, the advisors exchanged worried glances as they awaited the king and queen's arrival. When Rhaenarr and Alicent entered, their faces grave with concern, the room fell silent, anticipation hanging heavy in the air.

"My lords and ladies," Rhaenarr began, his voice echoing off the chamber's marble walls. "As you are all aware, my son Rhaerion remains missing, and the circumstances surrounding his disappearance are deeply troubling."

A murmur of agreement rippled through the assembled courtiers, their expressions reflecting a mixture of sympathy and apprehension.

"We must act swiftly to uncover the truth and bring those responsible to justice," Alicent added, her gaze sweeping over the gathered nobles with steely determination.

Rhaenarr nodded in agreement. "To that end, I have ordered a thorough investigation into the matter. Any and all leads must be pursued, and no stone left unturned until we have answers."

The advisors nodded solemnly, their commitment to the task evident in their resolute expressions. But even as they spoke of unity and resolve, Vanyx's insidious rumors wormed their way into the minds of some of the courtiers, sowing seeds of doubt and discord.

"I heard that Lord Alred has pledged his support to Vanyx," whispered one courtier, casting a furtive glance around the room to ensure no one overheard.

Another nodded in agreement. "And they say that Vanyx has evidence implicating the king in Rhaerion's disappearance."

The whispers grew louder, fueled by fear and uncertainty, until they threatened to drown out the voices of reason and loyalty. But amidst the turmoil, there were those who remained steadfast in their support of the king and queen, their faith unwavering in the face of adversity.

"We must stand united in this time of crisis," one noble declared, rising to his feet with conviction. "Our loyalty lies with King Rhaenarr and Queen Alicent, and we will not be swayed by baseless rumors and idle gossip."

His words struck a chord with the assembled courtiers, their resolve bolstered by his impassioned plea for unity. Slowly but surely, the tide began to turn, and the whispers of doubt faded into the background as a sense of solidarity took hold among the gathered nobles.

With their allies rallied and their determination renewed, Rhaenarr and Alicent faced the challenges ahead with steely resolve, knowing that together, they would weather the storm and emerge stronger than ever before. For the sake of their kingdom and their family, they would not rest until justice was served and peace restored to the land.

They will find their son.