Chapter 12: Lonely Night

"I should start off by telling you guys the truth regarding recent events"

Aizawa sighed as the kids stood around him in a semicircle.

"The attempt on Kaminari's life tonight was not the first.  We're not sure why but for some reason someone is going well out of there way to kill him"

The class was stunned at this revelation.  A couple gasped but for the most part there was just silence. 

"During the first patrol, Kaminari did not have an allergic reaction like you were led to believe. He was poisoned"

Kaminari's eyes nearly popped out of his head.  Sure being a hero was dangerous and villains were always trying to take out the top pro heroes, but why would a UA student like him be targeted?

"Due to these events, we are going to be implementing some new policies.  For starters we're updating the security system and we'll start having teachers patrol the grounds at all times.  Additionally no students will be allowed off campus until the perpetrator has been caught.  You will be escorted by a staff member to and from the schoolhouse and once training is done for the day, you will promptly return to the dorms.  I know it is frustrating but it is for your own safety.  Kaminari may be the one they're after but I'm not taking any chances. Are there any questions?"

The kids quietly shook their head no in response.

"All right,  then get some rest.  I'm impressed how you handled the situation.  The villain was apprehended and no civilians were injured.  Keep up the good work.  Now if you'll excuse me, I have the first watch tonight"

With that Aizawa left the group, still reeling in shock.  One by one they trickled off to their dorms, no one able to say a word.  Jirou quickly glanced at Kaminari who was staring at the floor, hands in his pockets before slowly returning to her room. 

But because of tonight, she knew there was no way in hell her mind would remotely allow her to get some sleep. After about 2 hours of staring at the ceiling she decided to head over to the balcony. She would always go there whenever she had trouble sleeping or just needed to clear her head. It turned out that someone else had the exact same idea. She couldn't blame the poor guy. After all, he did just learn the fact that professional assassins were out to kill him.

"Can't sleep ether?"

Kaminari shook his head no while keeping his gaze on the view ahead of him. Jirou stood next to him on the railing and lightly patted him on the shoulder as she took in the view herself. The hill that UA stood on provided a great vantage point for observing the rest of the city. It was especially beautiful tonight. The stars and the moon danced together in the sky as the cold autumn air nipped at her fingers. Jirou could admire that view for days on end but what she couldn't stand to see was Kaminari looking so dead inside.

"It will all be ok Kaminari. Aizawa will find out who's behind all this. In the meantime everyone will protect you no matter what"

Kaminari sighed before turning to face her. It looked like he was about to cry.

"It's not myself I'm worried about. It's my family. Aizawa texted me that he'll put them in protective custody but I just don't want anything to happen to them. And then there's also Akira"

"How is she handling things?"

Jirou asked.

"I don't know I haven't told her yet. I feel like the less she knows the less danger she could be in. Maybe for the time being I should stop seeing her until this whole thing blows over"

Jirou desperately wanted to tell him to do it but she knew as his friend she should support him.

"You seem to really like her, and I can tell she likes you. She'll understand"